What's new

Need help on choosing a dvd player? (1 Viewer)

Patrick_G

Auditioning
Hi i am new to the forums and would like to know anything about the Integra dps 7.3 dvd player. I am new to home theater and don't really understand all the specs. so anyone that has this player or can look here at the specs integrahometheater.com and let me know if this player is worth the money or not it lists for $799.99. I will be using it with my Toshiba 65H80 rptv. Thanks in advance.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You can get great performance worthy of that RPTV for even less money. Are you concerned with other source material (i.e., SACD or DVD-A)?

Patrick_G

Auditioning
To be honest with you i really don't care about the dvd-a and sacd that much. All i really want is the best picture quality and sound to watch movies. I just got back froom the store and they had another Integra that was a little cheaper than the dps 7.3 for like $400.00 and i asked him what the difference was and e said that the next step up will give you better picture quality and sound quality. Does this sound right to you? I don't understand all the specs so i don't know? i think it was the 5.4 version. Thanks for replying and any other information you or anyone else has please reply. Thanks again.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Patrick,
I have that exact set which was one of the first off the production line that was sent to Canada in Oct 2000.

It was purchased as a package with one of the first progscan dvd players to come out which was the Tosh sd5109 which I used happily until last year.

Unless you purchased yours on the previously enjoyed market you must already be using a dvd player.

I have recently switched to an sdi modded Panasonic rp82 which I use with the HOLO3D video scaler although this player on its own has been broadly praised.

The importanced of having that tv ISF'd cannot be overstated. It's a better set than many of the 2001 and 2002 models but the 2003 have made a comeback. In anycase it should be married, ISF'D, to the dvd player that you choose. If you go to the Secrets of Home Theatre site, there's a shootout of players that should give you all the important stuff.

Peter m.

Patrick_G

Auditioning
Thanks Peter,
I have never had my set ISF'ed before and the dvd player i was using on it was an old sony that was not even a progresive scan player. Now that my dvd player has died i need to get another one but i am not sure which one to get. The store i go to sells the Integras and has like 3 different models one for like $400 the 5.4, one for $800 the dps 7.3 and another that is more expensive the 8.3 version. I want to just buy the 5.4 to save some money but the guy at the store told me that if ya go up to the next level you will get better sound and a better picture than the 5.4. I want to get a great picture and sound but is he telling me the truth. What i am getting from him is the more ya pay the better picture and sound you will get. Thanks for the help sorry for all the questions but i am new to this and really want to understand what the differences are between each player before i spend my money. Thanks again.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Go to the Secrets site and read, read. read. Please have that set ISF'd, it's too good not to be.

Someone else help us out here.

Peter m.

Mike Pachis

Auditioning
Patrick,

Since PQ is your top issue I would shop for players that use either the Faroudja DCDi or SilconImage de-interlacing chip. This is the chip that weaves the two video fields into one progressive scaned frame. How well this is done is critical to good PQ. Also look for players that do not have the so called "chroma bug" (aka chroma upsampling error).

As Peter said that hometheaterhifi.com site has a detailed explanation of these issues. There dvd shoot out reviews specific players. The only problem is some of the players are discontinued, especialy the panasonic models that received good reviews.

For the kind of money you are talking about I would look at the Denon 2200 and 2900. They are getting great reviews on PQ and are universal audio disc players to boot.

Regards,

Michael

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'd second the Denons. there's a comparison thread between the 2900 and top of the line 5900 at audioholics.com

Peter m.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks