What's new

need help choosing an all-in-wonder model (1 Viewer)

KeithO

Auditioning
I'm trying to build a new HTPC and would like to use an ATI all-in-wonder. I won't be using the system for anything other than TiVo basically (no gaming, no dvd viewing, etc.).

Are there any differences in the 7500 / 8500 / 9500 / etc series that would lead me to buy one of the newer more expensive ones over one of the older radeon ones? I'm aiming for SVCD-quality recordings from the tv (can the ATI do that directly, or does it have to record avi and then convert to mpg?), just to watch, not to burn to a true SVCD. I like the improved visual quality and stereo sound of the svcd level compared to vcd level (I don't remember the differences in the mpg codec names used between the two). I'd rather do as little format conversion as possible, since I'm planning on only using a P3-700, which takes forever to encode. I've checked the ati site, but can't really tell if the differences in tv & video features between the cards are hardware, or if its just hyping different software features that are available on all the radeon-based wonder cards. I'll probably load the system with Win2k, a 120GB hard drive, etc. Any suggestions on RAM (128 or 256?) would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a good wireless keyboard/mouse with a 20+ foot range I'm all ears. I appreciate any advice you can give.

KO

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
AIW 8500DV if you want cheap
AIW 9700pro if you want powerful

they will record to your choice of codec, just make sure your computer is powerful enough to do some of the more complex compressions on the fly. the standard ATI codec is quite good and will more than suffice for your needs.

keep your ram at 512mb or higher for what you want to do. wireless mouse and keyboard is a pain, as the best wireless keyboard is the one that comes with the logitech elite duo and the best mouse is the logitech MX700. but for the sake of things, just getting the logitech elite duo should do.

hope that helps!

KeithO

Auditioning
I'm assuming the only difference you mean by power would be for gaming and 3d acceleration, but they have the same features for the tv & video side, correct? I just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help! I do appreciate it. BTW, how well does this interface with digital cable? Does it do ok with it, does it need the cable box in between (in which case I would assume the channel selector on the computer becomes useless), or do I need to plug it into analog cable only? Basically I only have the movie channels through the digital cable box, not to mention an extra 80 channels or so not available on the analog side (only a few of which I watch, but those extra discovery, news, and history channels come in quite handy). And do you think a P3-700 is good enough? Reason I ask is that an upgrade will be a processor, which requires new ram/mboard & power. Thanks again for the help!

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
okay, by power I am refering to the ablity of the card to play 3d games and the like, most people never realize how fun current games can be until they get a nice card that can run the game really well :D.

Both come withe RF remote which is a great remote for using. As far as a know the Tv functions are about the same on both cards, I think there is only very minor discreptancies at bes between the two.

niether card has a digital cable tuner so your stuck with either having them only tune in the analog portion of your cable or getting a seperate tuner that they are linked to.

If you have enough Ram I think your current processor can squeak by. But you will be pushing it, just make sure then when you use the pvr functions that nothing else is running in the background, because your going to need all the power you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks