What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need feedback on upcoming speakers purchase (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
hi all,

I'm planning to upgrade my entire home theatre next month and have so far purchased part 1; a Pioneer VSX-1015TX-S receiver.

Considering budget and from reading different threads and reviews I've narrowed my speakers selection to the following choices:

Yamaha
NS555
NS333
NS-C444

Mission
M34
M32
M3C2

Now my question is, in your opinion which set of speakers should I purchase? My knowledge on the technical details is not very extensive so any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you :)

728x90

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Don't make ANY other choices until you've heard some speakers!

Run to Bay BLoor Radio, try Kromer Radio on Bathurst, but don't buy based on reviews alone.

Brent

Buying Canadian made speakers should get you better bang for your buck, and luckily we have some of the best.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
mirage is also a fine canadian company. come to think of it, every speaker i've ever owned as part of my serious rig was / is canadian. i love my gershman avant garde's! they're located in thornhill which i believe is close to toronto. everything they make is probably outside of your price range, but they are exquisite speakers. call up ofra and see if you can't schedule a listen.

kevin t

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Basiclly look up Paradigm and (api) Audio Products International and you'll have a great start.

Brent

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
All excellent suggestions and opinions. Thank you all. I will post a reply once I have made up my mind which speakers to purchase. :D

Any specific reason(s)?

John S

Senior HTF Member
The NS Yamaha speaker line has been around for a long time. Overall they tend to just not be good sounding speakers, nasaly in the upper mids, vocalists, and female vocalists in particular suffer on them due to this. Not to even mention how bad quality the cabnets are, generating as bad as it gets resonances that are easily heard as coloration.

Most would consider them, the lowest end possible of the mid-fi speaker offerings. They are not horrible, and they are cheap, just so you know exactly what your buying if you do decide to go with them.

I'd think even the Mission would sound much much better, although a set of Yamaha NS's may be better at really loud volume levels for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks