What's new

need experts advice: recording studio set up (1 Viewer)

Andrew Voigt

Auditioning
Hello folks
This my first post. I am upgrading my home (aka limited budget)recording studio for surround sound mixing and DVD Audio recording. The control room is small so I need to use nearfield moniters. I alraedy have a pair of KRK "Rok Its" for the fronts and one DCM CX17 for the center. I need advice re: rears and LFE. I will be mixing sorround sound for DVD and DVD Audio. I'm thinking it'd be best to match all the speakers and so am thinking of getting two more matched KRKs for the rears even tho for the money I could probally get better non nearfield speakers. Along that vein should I also replace the center with another KRK just to be sure that what I hear is all flat and true? If I can keep the DCM (it's a better sounding speaker)as center then I will have abit more to invest in the LFE: a 12" 120 watt instead of a 8" 50 watt sub. Which brings us to question #2: That bigger isn't neccesarily better with subs. Smaller = tighter and larger = sloppy... is this true? I have a homemade 18" I planned to use for the much larger Theater space (1100 sg ft) where flat response is not so critical.
The large theater is used for large screen projection of 16 mm and video and it's sound is a later project except in choosing a surround amp now that can do dble duty later: i.e: a 500 watt amp is more than enuf for the small control room and with preouts can send the signals to the larger room which will need much bigger amps and speakers. I've been recommended to use a Denon AV 3801 or better, but my budget constraints are causing me to lean towards the Pioneer 810S. What are the major differences? Am I on the right track with all this? Any and all advice even if it's ojust other places to post would be greatly appreciated. TIA
------------------
Andrew Voigt
Jingletown Studios
Oakland CA

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>Along that vein should I also replace the center with another KRK just to be sure that what I hear is all flat and true?
====
Correctomundo!
====
>That bigger isn't neccesarily better with subs. Smaller = tighter and larger = sloppy... is this true?
====
It's a function of alignments and how they interact in the room. The size of the driver has nothing to do with it as long as the XO point is kept in the 80-120Hz/>2nd order.
====
> I have a homemade 18" I planned to use for the much larger Theater space (1100 sg ft) where flat response is not so critical.
The large theater is used for large screen projection of 16 mm and video and it's sound is a later project except in choosing a surround amp now that can do dble duty later: i.e: a 500 watt amp is more than enuf for the small control room
====
Way overkill unless the speakers are really inefficient.
====
> and with preouts can send the signals to the larger room which will need much bigger amps and speakers. I've been recommended to use a Denon AV 3801 or better, but my budget constraints are causing me to lean towards the Pioneer 810S. What are the major differences?
====
I don't keep current with electronics, so others will have to chime in. Anyway, isn't this a more appropriate question for the hardware section?
====
Am I on the right track with all this? Any and all advice even if it's ojust other places to post would be greatly appreciated.
====
Download the various DD manuals WRT mixing room design and surround mixing, etc., at http://www.dolby.com/tech/
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks