What's new

need drivers for JBL Pro III (1 Viewer)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Oh, dingleberries rotting upon the vine.

That doesn't really mean anything, but it sounded good. I just realized that my 10-year-old-plus JBL Pro III speakers need some rejuvenating. The sponge-rubbery surround has deteriorated to a gooey ooze that does little to support the cone.

Anybody know where to get replacement drivers that faithfully match the original? Or if they can be re-coned? I'd hate to spend money on new speakers after telling the wife that I was done building my cinema.....

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Done!

Only a week to get replacement drivers from JBL. Lots cheaper than new speakers, I must say.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Done!

Only a week to get replacement drivers from JBL. Lots cheaper than new speakers, I must say.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The replacement was fairly cheap -- the JBL web site listed the woofer for a bit over $34, but when I got the bill it was a bit less than $34. The tweeter was about the same, or somewhat less, I can't recall.

The replacement went very easy. I unscrewed some hex cap screws, pulled off the front face, and then unbolted the driver. The wires were attached with quick-disconnect terminals, so I didn't even have to solder.

The only little glitch is that the case is not designed to seal -- a little trade-off between cute and useful, there -- so I did need a bit of RTV to replace their hot-melt glue.

I was a bit worried, as the parts site lists this driver as being for the Control 1, but I guess that is identical to the Pro III.

I'm now thinking of getting a few el-cheapo old Pro IIIs. Even if I need to replace the drivers it is cheaper than new speakers. I can add to my surround with an extra set, or put in a rear surround channel and keep all my speakers tonally similar.

Oh frabjous day!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The replacement was fairly cheap -- the JBL web site listed the woofer for a bit over $34, but when I got the bill it was a bit less than $34. The tweeter was about the same, or somewhat less, I can't recall.

The replacement went very easy. I unscrewed some hex cap screws, pulled off the front face, and then unbolted the driver. The wires were attached with quick-disconnect terminals, so I didn't even have to solder.

The only little glitch is that the case is not designed to seal -- a little trade-off between cute and useful, there -- so I did need a bit of RTV to replace their hot-melt glue.

I was a bit worried, as the parts site lists this driver as being for the Control 1, but I guess that is identical to the Pro III.

I'm now thinking of getting a few el-cheapo old Pro IIIs. Even if I need to replace the drivers it is cheaper than new speakers. I can add to my surround with an extra set, or put in a rear surround channel and keep all my speakers tonally similar.

Oh frabjous day!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks