need drivers for JBL Pro III

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by chuckg, Jun 10, 2004.

1. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Oh, dingleberries rotting upon the vine.

That doesn't really mean anything, but it sounded good. I just realized that my 10-year-old-plus JBL Pro III speakers need some rejuvenating. The sponge-rubbery surround has deteriorated to a gooey ooze that does little to support the cone.

Anybody know where to get replacement drivers that faithfully match the original? Or if they can be re-coned? I'd hate to spend money on new speakers after telling the wife that I was done building my cinema.....

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It should be no problem getting a replacement or repair from JVC. You can contact them from their website.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Done!

Only a week to get replacement drivers from JBL. Lots cheaper than new speakers, I must say.

4. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Done!

Only a week to get replacement drivers from JBL. Lots cheaper than new speakers, I must say.

5. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Out of curiosity, how much was the replacement? Was it the woofer?

Thanks

6. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Out of curiosity, how much was the replacement? Was it the woofer?

Thanks

7. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

The replacement was fairly cheap -- the JBL web site listed the woofer for a bit over $34, but when I got the bill it was a bit less than $34. The tweeter was about the same, or somewhat less, I can't recall.

The replacement went very easy. I unscrewed some hex cap screws, pulled off the front face, and then unbolted the driver. The wires were attached with quick-disconnect terminals, so I didn't even have to solder.

The only little glitch is that the case is not designed to seal -- a little trade-off between cute and useful, there -- so I did need a bit of RTV to replace their hot-melt glue.

I was a bit worried, as the parts site lists this driver as being for the Control 1, but I guess that is identical to the Pro III.

I'm now thinking of getting a few el-cheapo old Pro IIIs. Even if I need to replace the drivers it is cheaper than new speakers. I can add to my surround with an extra set, or put in a rear surround channel and keep all my speakers tonally similar.

Oh frabjous day!

8. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

The replacement was fairly cheap -- the JBL web site listed the woofer for a bit over $34, but when I got the bill it was a bit less than $34. The tweeter was about the same, or somewhat less, I can't recall.

The replacement went very easy. I unscrewed some hex cap screws, pulled off the front face, and then unbolted the driver. The wires were attached with quick-disconnect terminals, so I didn't even have to solder.

The only little glitch is that the case is not designed to seal -- a little trade-off between cute and useful, there -- so I did need a bit of RTV to replace their hot-melt glue.

I was a bit worried, as the parts site lists this driver as being for the Control 1, but I guess that is identical to the Pro III.

I'm now thinking of getting a few el-cheapo old Pro IIIs. Even if I need to replace the drivers it is cheaper than new speakers. I can add to my surround with an extra set, or put in a rear surround channel and keep all my speakers tonally similar.

Oh frabjous day!