What's new

Need DIY help in the Atlanta area (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,
I've been involved w/ home theater for about a year and i'm just no getting interested in DIY.
Only problem is I just moved back to school at Georgia Tech and i don't have access to the tools i did at home in kentucky (almost anything that Craftsman makes).
This weekend i built 4 speaker stands and had a blast. I used 3/4" mdf covered in black marble contact paper for the base and tops, 3/4" galvanized steep pipe and flanges painted black for a single leg on each stand. They were a great project. I was able to do this project in my dorm (other than some painting) because Home Depot will do simple cuts for you. I'd made speaker stands before, but that was at home out of mainly scraps (my legs on my front stands were crown molding!). I'm alot happier with the way these look.
Now to the meat of my dilema. I really want to build a DIY Swan 305 sub w/ a 150w PE amp, a 5.75 ft^3 enclosure, w/ 2 2" ports tuned to 21zh, but i don't think i can tackle this one here in the dorm, since i don't have access to a router and Home Depot's cuts aren't extremely accurate.
What I was wondering is if any one in the atlanta area who is into DIY would be willing to help me get my enclosure together. Just the construction, not the finishing or anything like that. I'll come to you, anywhere withing a 30 minute drive from downtown atlanta.
I was planning on using 3/4" mdf, double thick for the baffle, joined w/ blocks and wood screws intenrally then caulked. The reason i'd really like someone experienced to help is so i know everything will come together right and i won't waste alot of $$ on materials. I want to make sure i can build the enclosure before i buy my driver and amplifier.
If anyone has a free saturday or sunday afternoon, i would greatly appreciate your help and could possibly pay for your time/use of tools.
Thanks a ton anyone who replies, or email me at [email protected]

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Stephen,

I would be more than happy to help out but I'm up to my ears in customer orders right now and just don't have the time. Also, our shop is a bit further away than a 30 minute drive from downtown, although I can see GA Tech from our new office building (real job) in Midtown.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Well if you happen to look down and see a stressed out AE student, there's a decent chance it's me lol. Thanks any way. I may just have to try to get it together over fall break if i wanna have it done in time for the diy convention.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
If I guess right Patrick Sun lives in the Atlanta area. May want to get in touch with him.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Pat does live in Norcross, but I don't believe he has a table saw. He has a buddy with one that helps him out a bit though.

Brian

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My weekends for the next month or two are all filled up. I've got Dragon Con, and some vacation coming my way, so I'm afraid I can't really offer much in terms of getting stuff cut and assembled. And I don't have a table saw.

Paul_H

Grip
I know there is a woodshop in the basement of the old architecture building. It is only open certain hours and has semi-restricted use. It has a resonable amount of equipment, but I didn't get to look closely.

If you wanted to go for complete overkill you could try to get access to the advance wood products lab next to the Salvation Army. I went in there before it was opened. It is setup for very large scale production with CNC routers, sanders, and saws. You would need to get some senior or graduate architecture students to get you access to that equipment. You would also have to CAD out everything.

If you are planning a speaker project that you are willing to document well, you should talk to Dr. Leach. He will advise you, and you can get a some credit for an ECE special design project.

Paul Hagan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks