What's new

Need advice regarding a scratched disc (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Yesterday I tried to play Star Trek:The Next Generation Season 3 Disc 1 in my JVC XV-M555 and I heard a grinding noise in all three disc trays. I tried it on a DVD-ROM drive and it played okay. I checked the back of the disc and it had a scratch near the outer edge. Unfortunately, I can't return to the etailer since I bought it over 60 days ago. This was the first time I tried playing the disc. I also tried disc 2 and that played fine.

What is the best course of action to take now? I've posted in the Studio and Manufacturer's Feedback Forum but I probably won't be able to exchange it with Paramount. Would a repair kit help at all?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Check w/Paramount, they might replace it. You may have to send them the disc first or pay S&H, but there's a possibility.

This happened with my Queer as Folk DVD set, and Showtime replaced the disc at no charge (even considering that I offered to pay them).

The scratch was pretty deep, and the DVD Dr. repair device really didn't help enough to justify buying it. I have a feeling that those things only work on superficial scratches. I would consider that my disc was more in the way of "gouged".

As more of these box sets start coming out, the studios have got to come up w/a reasonable way of handling this problem. I have to admit, if I'd gotten burned on the QAF set, I probably wouldn't have ordered season 2 of QAF or season 1 of ST-DS9 -- I would have just rented them from Netflix. That's a big investment to risk being ruined by a scratched disc.

Mike

Mike

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike, hopefully Martin will respond to my question on Studio Feedback board. If not, I'll try contacting the studio directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks