What's new

Need advice on receivers. (1 Viewer)

Greg Mc

Auditioning
Hello,
I am about to assemble my first "budget" home theater, and need some advice.

I am looking a three receivers:
Sony Strde 985 $307
Pioneer vsx d811 $287
Panasonic SE200 $349

I will be using my Klipsh Kg4 for the front speakers(94dB-1w/meter, 4 ohm.) Would like to use klipsh for center and rear.

I like the panasonic, but I am worried that their is no Treble or Bass adjustments for the surround output. Is this a problem.

Room for theater is only 13'X15', and will use receiver for CD music as well.

Any advice on the three receivers or others would be great.

Thanks

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
IMO throw away any tone controls and DSP modes, a properly set up and calibrated system shouldnt need tone controls, especially in entry level receivers, I have rejected some high end gear because of DSP and tone controls.
On these lower powered recievers tone controls can really tax your amps, doesnt take much increase in the bass to require a lot more power and again IMO muddy up an otherwise clean signal.
You need to be sure the unit you buy is rated for 4ohm speakers, I dont think Sonys like it much.

Greg Mc

Auditioning
The sony and Pioneer are rated at 100w/channel, with the panasonic at 130w/channel also with a lower THD.

What is considered a high powered receiver?

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Of these- if I had to choose between them- I would probably go for the 811, if it's the Pioneer I think it is. But as Guy said- you need to make sure you look to the power rating of the receiver and how it will handle those 4 ohm speakers. Many receivers will run real hot when using 4 ohm speakers and will shut down on you without a built in fan- which I don't think these models have (I might be wrong about that though). Power rating is a real game with makers and you should look at how a receiver is rated for per ch. per the ohms. HK and Onkyo I believe list ratings for 8 ohm, 6 ohm, and maybe 4ohm speakers- and I believe many of the more pricy receivers will handle the 4 ohm without a sweat, but I don't know about those particular models you've mentioned. Someone here will chime in soon though. Good luck and shop smart- so that you don't have to upgrade or downgrade all the speakers after getting the receiever. Check out the HTF primer page for lots of good info before you buy. Click here if you want to go there. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks