What's new

Need advice on new Pre/Pro/AV (1 Viewer)

Trblmkr

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D1S that I purchased back in 89/90. It has Dolby Pro Logic for surround sound (I know) and even has the DVD player button labeled as VDP (Video Disc Player) *(Seeing how old this is).

Anyway I use it only as a pre-amp and have it connected to an Adcom 555 that I bought back in 91 , and that drives my Infinity RS Kappa 8's.

I would like something that is more modern but still able to use my Adcom amp and provide me with a more up to date surround sound (at least 5.1). My wife watch mostly DVD and TV and sometime listen to CD (Holidays and such)

Here is my current setup
Salamander Triple 20 with Extended High Rise
TV Pioneer PDP 5060
Cable Box Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Int Amp Pioneer VSX-D1S
Amp Adcom 555
CD Sony CDP=C77ES
DVD Sony DVP NS725P
Graphic Equalizer BSR 14XR
Front Speakers Infinity Kappa 8's RS
Infinity Center speaker and Infinity Bookshelf speakers for the rear

I will eventually be updating the DVD Player to use HDMI connection as well.

Will I need to have a subwoffer or will my current speakers work well with current surround sound designs.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Good as your speakers are, a subwoofer will give you a significant difference. A good replacement for your receiver would be a Denon 2807, ~$1100.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Rotel, Outlaw, Adcom, Sherwood, Sunfire these are all good pre/pros IMO. Outlaw probably has the best deals.

Seth=L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks