What's new

Need advice for *fairly* avoiding customs (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
I'm trading an item with another forum member and as such I believe this should be exempt from customs.

Both items are used, taxes were already paid once when purchased originally and the transaction is a trade.

I live in Canada and the other person lives in the US. How should the person I'm trading with in the US mark my package so that customs knows the above info and fairly lets it bypass GST+PST and the ripoff "processing fees" that go along with that? I know many say to mark as a "gift" but that seems inappropriate and is not the right reason. I also don't want to say the value is really low as we both want insurance on the shipping.

North American Free Trade Agreement :)

I must have my free trade :D

David_Wh

Stunt Coordinator
On the customs label mark "Gift" or you can try "Warranty Return" with a declared value. The last 2 times I sent an item to Canada with Warranty Return the person got charged though. I have been using it for a couple years without any problems. I do not know if Canada changes their policies and now does not allow it. Good Luck

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I would not attempt this. You are dealing with US customs *and* Canada customs on this. The fact that you are trading I believe is irrelevant. I have known one person who was caught by customs... and he tells a *very* good cautionary tale. When in doubt, you may always call customs... though I find their answers sometimes vary.

M.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
North American Free Trade Agreement

I must have my free trade
Like most things national governments do nowadays - NAFTA is about making it easier for BUSINESSES, not for regular people. All the jobs went south because businesses have less restrictions on import/export. But regular people are still saddled with the same onerous requirements. Don't you be thinking that you will ever get a part of that globalization jackpot, that's only for the leisure class.

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
Declare the item AS-IS. No declared value. Item does not work. Kinda a gamble if you put insurance on it since it does not work *wink wink*. How much is this worth? If this declared value does NOT exceed $75.00 there is no taxes due to the person in the States. I have my father send me things from Europe all the time. We label it personal effects. Have that person who is sending send it via an airlines. Most ppl at the Customs offices here in Chgo do not want to bother with "petty" amounts of $200 or less. "Not worth the paperwork" accouding to customs. But I did not say that.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
He could ship it to me, and I'll bring it up next time I visit Toronto. ;) Granted, I'll kindly await the passing of SARS...my friend is freaking us out, going back to Toronto so often...he likes to pretend to cough a lot after he gets back. ^_^

But an actual solution to your problem...I really don't know. But since it's supposed to be legal, and you're just not sure how to go about doing it, maybe you should just try calling customs and get their opinion on it?

KyleS

Screenwriter
I'm trading an item with another forum member and as such I believe this should be exempt from customs.
Not to be the spoiler here but just because "You" think that you shouldnt have to pay customs on something doesnt mean you shouldnt. Thats like saying I dont think it should be illegal to drink and drive. If you get caught the law still says it "IS" illegal. I would recommend giving customs a call and asking then anonymously if there is a way to circumvent getting nailed with a customs tax legally.

Best luck,

KyleS

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
there is no way around it. I have seen so many posts on this including a couple from myself. Whether the seller marks the package as a gift or a trade or whatever, you will have to pay tax on the full declared value. If you have the item shipped via UPS or FedEX (ground that is) you will have to pay brokerage fees also.

The only way to bypass some of these charges is to have a lower declared value placed on the said item and take a chance with insurance not to mention customs. To bypass brokerage fees then have the package shipped USPS, they charge $5 instaed of $50 for customs paperwork. Hope this helps but you don't really think you can avoid paying taxes do you?

This is life here in the great white north. If you spend 30k on a new vehicle and sell it 6 months later, taxes must be payed again, then that person sells it a year later, taxes have to be payed again and so on and so on. Ridiculous i know but what can one do......

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i always mark my items as 'gifts' when i ship to canada and havent ever had any problems. any way you look at it, there's a gambling aspect. are you willing to roll the dice?

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
I've had audio equipment shipped to me (in Canada) from the US via both UPS and FedEX, and found that FedEX charged much less fees/etc than UPS did.

If the item you're receiving was manufactured in the States, no duty applies. Otherwise, the duty depends on country of origin (they have a list).

Henning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks