What's new

Need a vacuum. Can anyone comment on this model? (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Are Meile vacuums sold in Canada? They are up there with Dyson IMO. I'm buying a Dyson pretty soon, but my parents shelled out about $350 for Meile and are very pleased with it.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I have the Hoover upright (it was their top of the line about 5 years ago). It kicks butt. As my roommate says, "Nothing sucks like a Hoover."

Anyway, based on my experience I'd buy any high end Hoover again.

CRyan

Screenwriter
The Dyson's are not rated that well. I will have to look, but Consumer's Reports rated one of the Hoover cleaners much higher.

Attachment ease is one of my biggest concerns and the Dyson's did not rate well in ease of use.

C. Ryan

SethH

Senior HTF Member

While I believe one should certainly consult things such as consumer reports for these purchases I do not believe one should put too much stock in them. One of the biggest problems with vacuum cleaners is that they lose suction over time. Consumer Reports rarely, if ever, spends enough time with a vacuum (a couple years) to determine which vacuums actually retain suction. I'm not necessarily saying the Dyson is better than a high-end Hoover because I haven't performed those tests either. But that is Dyson's main claim about their vacuums and it is what they say differentiates them from the other brands.

There are also other factors to consider. The weight of the vacuum could be important depending on the user. Will it be used on a single-floor home or multi-floor home (another weight issue). Attachments should also be considered as well as bag or bagless (some allegy sufferers refuse to use bagless because some dust is let back into the air when the canister is dumped).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah they sell Miele here in canada.. but they're pretty expensive, like $800? Its been awhile, i forget..

We bought a dyson and brought it over the border a few months ago to replace a 14-year old Panasonic vacuum. Came out to be about $400-$500 CAD i believe, after everything (though it was refurbished, works fine though)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
There was someone else other than Consumer Reports that did a report on vacuum cleaners and they too found that Hoover was a better vacuum overall. The whole report was read on Good Morning America one morning.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, I really wanted a Dyson for the long ass hose it comes with. However, after quite a bit of research, I decided this generation simply did not have the bugs worked out. Great accessories, but not a great implementation - reminded me of Kirby only cheaper.

Anyway, I bought a $300 Eureka Windtunnel for $139 and will spend $500+ on a Dyson or the next big thing when the great attachments are easy. Nice thing about the other brands is no "price fixing." You can almost always find a deal on one somewhere.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
could get a yank friend to pick up a dyson and ship it to you?
I saw some at bed bath an dbeyond for somewhere around $400 but didn't stop to look at them or anything.
with the exchange what it is, it might not be so bad, or try ebay.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
As someone mentioned, Dyson's main claim is that their vacuum doesn't lose suction over time. My question is how does their "peak" suction rank? On a scale of 1 to 10, are they a consistent 10 or a consistent 6? If it's a consistent 6, their claim of not losing suction would be true, but meaningless.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
We have a Hoover Windtunnel Premium self-propelled vacuum (bag model). It's a bit on the heavy side, but it works very well.

Foster

Auditioning
You might try looking at thevacuumcenter.com for Dyson. They seem to have alot of different makes available. Maybe a tad pricey..

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
if memory serves. They had the best suction but they didn't clean the carpet the best according to the report.

I need to go dig it up. I hope its online.

Todd_B

Second Unit
I'm recently a Dyson convert and, FWIW, I'm simply amazed everytime I get done sweeping at how much crap comes out of our rugs and carpets.

We've had ours for a bit over 3 months and so far I give it a :emoji_thumbsup:

..so I say import one!

Todd B

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I was part of a vacuum cleaner focus group and was surprised to see that Hoover was the heaviest of all of the main VCs. So if you have stairs, I would reconsider Hoover. Oreck was by far the lightest, but Miele was also very light, too. This was before Dyson.
Basically the group felt what was important to them:
Lightweight
good edging
retractable cord
bagless
easy access tools

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I got a 300 dollar bagless model, and a few months later put it on the curb for the trash man. Those things suck, and i don't mean in a good way. Picked up an old school 69 dollar upright with a bac and have been very happy with it. My Mom has a15 year old Rainbow that is the best vacum i've ever seen. The Dyson i would like to learn more about or see it in action. Oh, forgot, the bagless model i hated had filters that kept getting clogged, and when they did it didn't work. Also, you have to empty the canister constantly. I was glad to be rid of it.

Scott

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have a cheap bissel bagless, it works reasonably well, but you have to empty the container 3 or 4 times during the process of cleaning
I'd like to have a better bagless, maybe a dyson after I move.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks