What's new

Need A New 12" Sub Driver- Bring me up too speed? (1 Viewer)

Garret_O

Agent
Hello all-
I'm new here so take it easy on me! :)
I've read the sticky at the top of the forum and I think I might be ok with this question.
I'm looking for a new 12" driver for my HT setup.
Right now I'm using two identical "cubes" each consists of:
JL 12W1 http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/12W1_BDS.pdf
Painted Black Cube: 15 3/4" X 16 1/2" X 16 1/2"
With an internal volume ~2.4 FT3
Port 3 1/2" Dia, 5 1/2" Long
Filter @ 120Hz (I also use my Reciever's crossover on the LFE)
Well, I made these boxes several years ago (at least 7) and I'm looking to upgrade, or switch drivers. I like the JL drivers but I'm itching for something new.
Given these dimensions do you have any suggestions? I don't need a driver that is capable of 600Watt RMS loads but I would like a driver with solid Bass extension and one with minimal rolloff in the 20-30Hz range (wishful thinking in a 12" I know). I can recut the Port if need be to retune I could also close the port if need be.
My current amp is only 100Watt RMSx2 @ 8Ohms. It is driving the 12W1 @ 4Ohms no problem (12w1 are rated @ 125Watt RMS anyway).
I've heard the Shiva 12" are good drivers and Almost anything from Stryke Audio. Are there any good HT drivers that are fancy looking? (I have no grills ;) )
Thanks in advance,
Garret

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Did you see Kyle's post about the new Styke 12" driver? It looks like you could go sealed (and stuffed) in you present boxes, and have significantly more output.
JP

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Garret,

The main problem I see with your current enclosure is the tuning frequency. That port gives you a 36Hz Fb. With the new drivers you'd get about a 6.6dB peak at 40Hz and then rolloff sharply below that point. With your current woofer, it models to have a 6dB peak at 58Hz

If you went sealed, you'd have a Qtc of .537, and F3 of 41Hz, and F10 of 21Hz, and lots of output capability. That should work out pretty good for you. It won't be as efficient above 30Hz, but you'll get rid of that nasty peak at 58Hz.

John

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
John's right (go figure), those enclosures are not really optimized for the home theater environment. It looks more like what you'd want in a car audio application. You may be able to improve their performance just by changing the alignment. Easiest is to try plugging the port temporarily to see if you like that sound better. This volume seems much better suited to a sealed box. If you're more adventurous you could try larger vented enclosures, maybe similar to an EBS Shiva alignment with your current drivers.

There just aren't many 12 inch subs that'll work well in 2.4ft^3 ported for HT. The BP1203 has a small enough Vas and Qts but you couldn't fit a port big enough to do that driver justice.

Garret_O

Agent
Sounds good,
I'll plug the ports and give the new drivers a try.
I will most likely end up building a acouple of new boxes but I do not have the time at this moment.
If I could get away with plugging the port, removing the insulation and dropping in these new drivers at least temporarily then it would be nice. It would be nice to at least flatten out response even if the subwoofer would rolloff quickly under 40Hz.
The funny thing is, these boxes are painted with a shiny black autopaint and really look to good to drop into a car! ;) You are right though, I took a car design and tune and dropped it into a HT setup. It worked when I was younger but now I've changed a bit!
Looks like I'll need a different(Slightly larger/PR) box to do the new drivers justice and get decent levels in the 20-30 range.
Alternativly, I could sell these boxes and purchase a kit!
hmm..
Thanks for your help so far.
Garret

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks