What's new

Neat Wireless PS2 device (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
In the most recent EGM, there was an ad for a device for PS2 that allowed you to make any controller a wireless controller. You connect the receiver to the console and the transmitter to the controller. It comes with a battery adapter or something like that for the transmitter.

Now am I the only one that thinks this is an amazing idea? You can use the regular PS2 controllers (with rumble) as wireless controllers without having to buy a third-party brand that is uncomfortable and lacks the rumble features. I don't remember what it's called or how much it cost.

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
Um... But you would still have a cord on the controller. For me I hate getting tangled up in the cords, that really wouldn't solve that propblem at all. Unless i am missing sometihng here...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The cord doesn't connect you to the console, so you can sit as far away as you want (within a reasonable limit due to the power of the wireless device). True, you still have a wire, but I'd much rather have a wire than an uncomfortable third-party controller.

EdR

Second Unit
For me the issue with wires wasn't distance, it was WIRES! They just get in the way, they tangle, they can be tripped over...I can see how this might be cool if all you wanted was distance, but for me it doesn't solve anything.

I've been using the Logitech wireless PS2 controller and it's worked out very well. Mad Catz makes one that's basically identical to the Sony version if you need that design.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
I know the details aren't totally known, but...

If the transmitter runs on a battery and the controller runs off the transmitter, then wouldn't it get drained mega-fast using the rumble feature? Add to this that you can plug two controllers into it and that takes it down twice as fast. It says that it comes with rechargeable batteries, but those would probably take a while to charge. This just doesn't seem as practical as the Wavebird or the Logitech. Not to mention that there is nothing said about what it costs(no ads really do that anyway). For me, I'd say no, but others might enjoy it.

Sean

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
The WOW! is $49.95, according to the Saitek website, but I have no interest in it at any price. Look at the size of the transmitter and receiver. One more thing to clutter up the coffee table, and I'd have to push my PS2 back six inches, not to mention set it horizontally on the shelf. And it's hardly "wireless". I use the Logitech PS2 wireless, and for only $10 more, it's a far better solution. Maybe the WOW! would be nice for a steering wheel or joystick, but Logitech's even made those wireless as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying the product is good, but I'm saying the IDEA is good. I like the idea of making all controllers wireless. Yes, you still have wires, but they don't limit where you place the console or where you sit.

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a photo of it in the newest EGM, looks odd to me. I think the whole idea is bad. For me, the point of the wireless controller is to get rid of the wires completely. You are better off getting controller extentions than this thing.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think Spike was reported way back in an old NextGen magazine. Whatever mag it was, it was a long time ago & it sounds they are still talking about what devices will support Spike. Not much about the now or the immediate future.

-Dave

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Yeah, it might be vaporware, but Bluetooth took a few years to actually appear. Still, it offers exactly what most of us want: using the superior Xbox controller on all the other consoles. :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Morgan on the original comment, though. It may not get rid of cords, but it would definitely minimize the stretch across the floor. If it had a more robust charging system, I would definitely consider it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
You most likely wouldn't be able to use a MS Xbox controller on another platform though. The controller has to be "Spike enabled", and I just can't see any of the big three enabling their controllers for usage on their competitor's systems. Most likely we'd see Spike controllers from Mad Catz, Pelican, etc... :frowning: If it worked with any controller, I'd think it was the greatest thing since Wonderbread.

-Dave

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I for one would just like a WaveBird-quality wireless controller for my PS2. I don't see what the holdup is, and I'm sure that Sony would sell a TON of them if they did them first party and did them well. I'm amazed there isn't one out yet, especially for the PS2, somewhat less so for the XBox (though still suprised)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
The Logitech PS2 controller is an excellent wireless choice. I've never experienced any lag and the battery life is very good. It is rumble-enabled, but you can turn that option off. It feels a little heavy at first, and because the D-pad is an eight-way disk (better for gaming, imo) rather than the four-way buttons it can be trickier to navigate menus, but it is actually worth the high price. I haven't yet purchased the Xbox version, but plan to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks