What's new

NCAA 2005 March Madness Pick'em League/Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Thed ifference is (IMHO) Texas Tech major league over-achieved. OSU did not :) But if I were OSU, you can't feel bad about that game, one of the better played of the tourney, both teams played their guts out.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Wisconsin- Milwaukee played gutsy, but Illinois
just has more horses. The guards didn't get rattled
from the pressure, and they had more size up front.
They look really good right now, and they have an
excellent chance to win it all.

Once again, a #1 seed didn't make it to the final four.
IIRC, there has never been a year when all 4 #1 seeds
advanced to the final four.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I would be shocked if a year comes along when all
the #1 seeds lose early. It would be cool to see
it happen, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.;)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Woo-hoo! How 'Bout Them 'Eers!

Sorry, but I get excitable, being the proud WVU alumna and all. :b

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
As a huge Illini fan, I was glad to see the three guards dominate like they did before the Big Ten tournament. Luther's leg problem is a bit troubling, but if he and the other 2 guards play like Thursday, I think it is off to the Final Four for the University of Illinois.

James L White

Supporting Actor
Move over Dukie V, Billy Packer is now the single most irritating College Basketball annoucner, and to think I used to like Packer. I swear he needs to be wearing a Duke cheerleader uniorm. :angry:
Talk about totaly unprofessional, if the media would quit shving the likes of Duke, the Yankees and Notre Dame down our throats it'd be a lot easier to enjoy sport on TV.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Duke did indeed lose—but Michigan State looked very, very good. Their win was no fluke.

In a down year for the Big Ten, they still advance three teams to the quaterfinals.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
All right!! The Duke Blue Devils go down!!! Now if someone would knock off the Duke Tar Heels (intentional typo, btw...). Go Nova!

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
The ACC is getting wiped out tonight. UNC's first half was absolutely unbelievably terrible. It's a miracle they got within 4 pts. I hope Roy Williams can "inspire" them for the second half.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Let's cut to the broadcast team. "That was travelling wasn't it. How about that Roy Williams?"

That was pretty sketchy considering they didn't call the travel on the Carolina guy who then missed that layup that bounced around with less than 2 min.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't if Nova possibly losing (or at least failing to get the game to OT) because that questionable travelling call makes me feel better or worse. At least you can take some consolation that the loss could have been due to a bad call, but at the same time it just makes it that much more frustrating.

Good game though. At the very least, VU played a very solid game and did a lot better than they probably should have, especially with a benched starter.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Go Kentucky! Perennial Wildcat NCAA fodder Utah goes down again. UK vs. Utah record in the NCAAs since '93: 6-0. Not a typo. Utah set back offensive basketball several decades tonight, which certainly helped UK's cause. Michigan State's looking awfully tough, that's going to be a heck of a challenge for Kentucky on Sunday.

Man, Villanova really did get screwed on that last call. True, they still would have been down 1--and had a foul been called on UNC, as it appeared for a moment, that would have been a bad call as well--but there was no way anyone with better eyesight than Stevie Wonder could justify calling travelling there.

And, back to my own region of interest--thank you, Spartans! Duke going down is always very sweet for this playa hata. Although there's every possibility that my own beloved Cats will succumb to MSU next on Sunday, I gotta take pleasure in Duke being:

Edit: Interesting stat from ESPN's UK-Utah wrap-up.

Best records vs. one team
NCAA Tournament history

Matchup/Record

Kentucky vs. Utah/6-0
Ohio State vs. Kentucky/5-0 (oh, my, Own3d by the Buckeyes! I had no idea.)
Indiana vs. LSU/5-0 (they've met 5 times in the NCAAs?)
Kentucky vs. Miami(Ohio)/4-0 (4 times?)
Kentucky vs. Illinois/4-0
UCLA vs. New Mexico St./4-0
UCLA vs. Kansas/4-0

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m guessing that some of those wins came in the late 50s and early 60s when Ohio State dominated college play with a big three of guard Jerry Siegfried, center Jerry Lucas and forward John Havlicek.

As a minor note of trivia, the other guard in three Big Ten titles and the 1960 NCAA championship was none other than Bobby Knight.

I did not look it up to see if they actually met UK during that period. My other guess would be the Ohio State team of Clark Kellogg (early 80s) or possibly the one with Jim Jackson of the early 90s.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Just looked it up. Ohio State's wins over Kentucky in the NCAA tournament came in '45, '61, '62, '68, and '87. So two of those teams, '61 and '62, were led by Lucas, Havlicek, and company. They won it all in '60, but the '61 and '62 teams both lost to Cincinnati in the national title game. Which was NOT, as so many people assume, led by Oscar Robertson--his last year in college was 1960. In fact, their '61 team won it all with a first-year head coach, in the first year after the national-title-less Robertson era (they had lost in the Final Four in '59 and '60), which I once saw referenced as "the most ironic national title in college basketball history." They won it all again in '62, and were then upset by Loyola-Chicago in overtime of the '63 final.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks