What's new

NBC's Hawaii (merged) (1 Viewer)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I thought it would be a chance for NBC to have a great show, beautiful Hawai'i in Hi-def and all they had to do was ape Hawaii Five-O. But nooooo, they had to have comic relief every five minutes and soo many stereotypes of Polynesians it wasn't funny.....sad.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
When i was watching this, there was no dialogue. I heard plenty of music and sound effects, but no dialogue. The dialogue did kick in when they resized the screen to give a ticker announcement about charges against Kobe Bryant being dropped, then cut back out as soon as it went away. Anyone else have this probem or was my local station stripping out the center channel somehow?

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I changed to it and on my HD channel, there was no sound at all. The regular channel has sound. I taped off of that one, but I don't have too much motivation to see it.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I had the same thing on the HD channel. My best thought is that it was a 5.1 mix and they only broadcast the 2 main channels [maybe even only the 2 rear channels]. No center channel, so no dialog.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think this is going to be up against "Lost." Hopefully this will be gone by the time it premieres.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

The ads were so bad I forgot to try watching it. I did channel surf across it and saw 1 minute with Andy Bumatai. . .and moved along.

MattGentry

Second Unit
I watched this about a month ago, and it was completely underwhelming. And that's a shame too. I like Michael Bien as an actor.

Goodbye Hawaii...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member

That was my guess as well as my receiver said this was 2-channel and I was pretty sure it was supposed to be 5.1.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
You guys just convinced me to just rewind the vcr and tape over it. Guess I won't give it the time of day.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I knew there would be trouble in the first few moments when the detective's car was a restored Caddy Convertible with a police light on it. Do TV producers really think that we'll just accept any old premise these days?

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I was setting the PVR to tape this tonight and I notice that it says that it is the 3rd episode... WTF!!!!
So I go to TV Tome and sure enough episode 2 aired on the 6th!!!
All I can ask is "why would NBC do this?" way to kick a new show in the crotch, I was on the fence about watching this, I sort of enjoyed the first episode. To be honest I only tuned in because I am fascinated with the Islands and I wanted to see if buddy from ER could swing the new role.

Having now missed episode 2 I am kind of peeved, why run an extra episode of a new show so soon on a different night? Seems silly to me unless they know they are going to ditch it and want to burn off stuff that has been filmed already.

Any thoughts?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'm afraid that I do.

With the number of cancellations today, I have learned to go over the prime time stuff every Sunday morning, with a fine-toothed comb.

I did see it, and I hope the show is on long enough for it to come around in reruns. Briefly, an undercover cop was ratted out by his boss when some jerks came in for a holdup.
When another cop showed up, one leaned on one of the jerks so bad he caught him off guard, and the cops took over. It was pretty funny.

All in all, just like any other cop show, except for temperature and the scenery. Great, though. I hope it stays on.

Glenn

Justin-Gz

Auditioning
I've watched all three episodes so far, and I hope Hawaii stays around for awhile I really dig this show. Takes me back to when I use to live there. The scenery and locals that is, not so much the crime.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only decent thing I can say about Hawaii (the show) is that they really do juice up the bass in the audio.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
More exposure. The Monday airing was after Last Comic Standing and in the usual Las Vegas slot; both of those shows have audiences NBC would really like to pick up for Hawaii. It's an attempt to get the show in front of more eyeballs before returning shows (and new shows with less-poisonous buzz) deflect attention away from it.

As to the show, I haven't watched the third episode yet, but considering how cutthroat its timeslot is, it needs all the help it can get. Not actively bad, most of the time, but incredibly lightweight. Nice cast but not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks