What's new

n00b question- what are preouts? (1 Viewer)

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
i saw that HK 220 has 7.1 preouts and i want to use the stereo in another room as well as 5.1 in main room so what do i have to do with the preouts

John S

Senior HTF Member
You can run line/pre out to another reciever /amp that has amp / power amp ins. Shielded cable is needed for such a run.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
any examples for such amp? and how much they cost. cuz if i have to spend more money, i might just buy avr325 with has 7.1

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't run into the HT primer/FAQ you should read that, some of this is covered there.

Basically, pre-outs let you use outboard amplifiers instead of the amplifiers in the receiver. The 220 is a regular 5.1 receiver, with 5 power amps built in. In fact, it does not have pre-outs at all. IT does have 5.1 pre-ins, though, which you likely would only use for SACD/DVD-A if you go that route. The 220 does not have EX/ES decoding, and if you dont plan on going the 7.1 route than this is not important. Bottom lime, the 200 is a solid 5.1 receiver, but you cant use outboard amps with it, nor any 6.1/7.1 stuff.

The 325 has 7 amps built in, which can be configured either for 7.1 setup, or a 5.1 setup, plus a second zone. Two different sources can be listened to in these zones. It sounds like this is what you are trying to do, ans this receiver is perfect for that.

It also has a full complement of pre ins/outs for 7.1 if you need/want that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks