N00b ? ... progressive scan

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt~James, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Matt~James

Matt~James Auditioning

I have a 55" Toshiba TZ55v61 Theaterview that I bought 3-4 years ago . It has Components in and s-video . Is it capable of displaying progressive scan?? I found a Panny Rp-82 for 180$ and have heard that it is great in PS but not great w/o it. Thanks for any help!

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Although I am not sure, I believe that you will be able to display a progressive scan image on this TV. The TZ55V61 can display 800 lines of horizontal resolution and a progressive scan DVD player puts out 525 (480 visible) lines of resolution. You can go to this link for details on the TZ55V61.

If anyone knows any different please correct me.

3. Matt~James

Matt~James Auditioning

I went ahead and bought the RP-82, and when I turn on the Progressive Scan through my components I get a ghost image. I can see part of the picture ,but it looks black and white. It looks like when you try to watch cable and you aren't authorized for it and it gives you that wavy mess. does this mean my TV is not compatible?? I'm going to take it over to a friend's house and test it on his. (e ha a Progressive Scan DVD that works on his TV)

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If the TV is not HD capable,it is not progressive scan capable when it comes to Toshiba sets from 3 to 4 years back.

If it does not have built in line doubling ... no 480p capability.

Regards

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Doesn't look like that TV can handle progressive scan video judging from the specs/description at the Tosh site. It would probably specify Colostream Pro, if it supported it, since that's Tosh's fancy name for progressive scan component video.

_Man_

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

IIRC - and I may not - that model has a 480p image, but does not support progressive-scan or HD inputs. Anticipating your next question, no, it wouldn't have 2:3 pulldown detection and reversal.