What's new

Mythbusters: My Favorite New Show (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Have you guys been watching this? A couple of special effects engineers recreate stories, urban myths and old wives tales to see if they are plausible. So far they've shown that the guys who supposedly escaped from Alcatraz in the 60's could do it without drowning in the bay, that a cable tied to a telephone pole cannot pull off the rear axle of a police car, that a penny dropped from the top of the Empire State building will not kill a person walking on the street, and many many more. The show is so fun to watch, and these guys really are creative in figuring out how to stage the events they are either proving or busting. And if something like explosive decompression in an airplane doesn't happen under normal conditions, they will soup things up to see what it takes to actually make it happen. Lots of explosions on this show!

Oh, and it is plausible that a .22 caliber bullet placed in a truck's fuse box can go off and shoot the driver in the crotch!

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
It's a hoot! I still don't buy the idea that aluminum foil in the microwave isn't a recipe for disaster, though.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I love this show. So many myths that I've been curious about have been shown. The canon out of a log was pretty cool, especially when they blew it up. Now that was an explosion!!

I didn't see the episode with the police car axel or penny dropped from Empire State Building.

The last one I watched they proved that you can't get electricuted by pissing on the 'third' rail, well unless you are super close so that your pee doesn't break apart. Funny episode though.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

Actually, what they proved was that they could do it if they were smart enough to shoot for the Golden Gate Bridge rather than for Angel Island.

I love this show.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
This show is great. First, they try to prove or disprove the myth. Then, if they can't duplicate the myth, then they try to find out what it would take to duplicate the myth, if it is at all possible.

Sometimes they do prove that it is possible, and sometimes they track down the original story to find that it isn't a myth but a true story.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I found the one with the duck quack that doesn't make an echo very interesting. Especially since the day that I watched that show I had posted a list of 'weird facts' on another website. One of the facts was "A duck's quack doesn't echo." Then on the show they go on and say that this myth originated on the internet and is often found in fun 'factoid' lists. :D Sure did!

What was interesting was that they really had a hard time debunking that myth. A duck's quack actually sounds like an echo to begin with which is why when you hear the echo you think you are still hearing the original quack. It was pretty cool, especially with them trying to get the ducks to quack. :D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
What is strange I saw 6 or so episodes about 6 months ago.
There is one show where they attach a rocket to an old car that is super cool!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I was about to mention that one. (For everyone else, this was the project that debunked the urban legend about the car that got decimated by attaching a Jet Assisted Take-Off (JATO) to it.)

Mythbusters is a great show!

LewB

Screenwriter
Lets see ...

Monster Garage
American Chopper
Mythbusters

Thank you Discovery channel for helping me avoid network television at all costs !! :D :D :D

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i came across that the other night. was that jeff "skunk" baxter, formerly of the doobie brothers? kinda looked like him with about 25 years, a few pounds, and (kinda) a haircut.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I *think* I saw this show once -- they recreated the last flight of the Red Baron in order to determine who actually shot him down. It was amazingly cool!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's interesting, but there's too much dead air. Every now and then a piece will be interesting, but most of the time I find myself fast forwarding my Tivo. The part where the have the folklorist relate the tale is especially FF worthy.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Yes, there is a very SMALL possibility of the .22 cartridge going off if used as a fuse. However, very very unlikely. Simply put, the amount of current flowing across the casing would be too low to heat the primer high enough to ignite the powder.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The worst (as in still good, but nasty) would be the myth that a sports car could smell so bad that it could never be sold. They put two dead pigs in the car, let them rot for a month, then tried to clean and sell the car. I couldn't imagine how bad that smelled. But they did prove that a smell could be so bad and so embedded into the car and air system that you couldn't get rid of it. They ended up gutting the car, then selling it for parts. Poor Corvette. :D

Another interesting one was the myth that implants can explode while in a plane that loses cabin pressure. Again, proved false. They even took them to a simulated 30,000 feet underwater to 35,000 feet above sea level in a few minutes and nothing happened to them at all.

Glenn_J

Grip

Don't forget "Rides" on TLC!

I enjoy Mythbusters quite a bit. The last episode (on this past Sunday) had me laughing when they modified the washing machine, then fired it up with "Buster" standing in it. Classic.

Oh, the show is on Sunday nights at 8:00EST on the Discovery Channel. It used to be on Friday nights, but they recently moved it.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The show is on multiple times all week long. Definitely a candidate for a TiVo season pass with lower priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks