What's new

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 10 recalled? (1 Viewer)

Roni F

Stunt Coordinator
If you live in New England and are still looking for Vol. 10, you should check out Newbury Comics (http://www.newburycomics.com/ for all of the store locations). I found one there about a week and a half ago for 39.99! So relieved!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Cool Roni. I found one myself today at F.Y.E. at the mall in Augusta, Ga. Woo hoot!! I thought I was seeing things. Just one sitting there on the shelf. I put that bad boy on my credit card and left the store smiling the whole time. :D
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

My order online still says "in progress". My guess is they don't have anymore there. I was trying to buy one through gameznflix.com which is partnered with Circuit City. Seemed like a good bet buying one thru a rental service. I'm going to leave the order and see what happens. Even if it's a protection from defeats.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
If only one title has rights issues, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-released the ones that don't spread out among other volumes. Any idea what rights expired on which titles in Volume 1? Alternatively I suppose they could do two-disk Essentials releases with those titles from vols. 1 & 10 they still have rights to. It does seem silly to miss out on sales of those just because one or two in the set had legal issues or expired rights. Of course if set one just expired, then they might be in process of renewing and re-releasing it...

I started buying upon release with the release of the 3rd or 4th box set. I pay a bit more because I'm in the UK and need to find a retailer who will fudge the customs, but I'm in the States next April, so hopefully volume 11 will come out in time for me to either have it posted to a relative or pick up in a shop.

I was quite surprised at the existence of this thread and glad that I found an online retailer to get it quickly (DVDStars.com for those who care -- Canadian, apparently).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Sean, I was thinking the same thing. They should release these in those separate thin DVD cases so they can easily be broken up and repackaged.

Also, they should DEFINATELY continue to make mistakes with rights issues and then do hush hush recalls so we can get the ones that are impossible to release. Hee!

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
All 4 of them. The rights for Bloodlust, Catalina Caper, The Creeping Terror, and The Skydivers all reverted to the company that owns the rights to them. In Volume 3, The Sidehackers reverted to the company who owns the rights to it. Rhino said they were working on some way of releasing the other films from that set, The Atomic Brain and The Unearthly, outside of the set. Though they haven't come up with anything yet. As for Volume 10, I would think the most logical choice is to re-relase it as Volume 10.5 and put a different film in the missing slot. Just make it one of the ones already available or release whatever they put in the slot as a standalone as well. Especially if they can't work out the rights issues with whatever film is causing the problems. Likely Godzilla.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Weird, since Bloodlust turns up in a few bargain bin horror sets with other public domain fare. Catalina Caper was a Warner Bros. movie, and Rhino has become part of Time Warner, so you'd think the rights would be easier to sort out now! It was also the first episode to vanish from Comedy Central reruns back in the day.
I have a hard time believing the owners of most of these films think they will ever see much interest or income from a non-MST version!

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Those still looking for this, don't lose hope yet! I scoured Wilmington with my mom in the weeks before Christmas looking for one. And I was damn close to shelling out an abysmal amount of money to get a copy off ebay, then my girlfriend happened upon one at a B&N in Winston-Salem! And it was 10% off, to boot.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
gameznflix still hasn't sent mine. They charged my card but haven't updated my order. I wrote an "issue" to them and they said they didn't know when it would be shipped. So I told them to remove that charge off my card until the item is ready to be shipped. I"m pretty sure I won't be getting one from them. So I'm soooo glad I found one last week. I'm just now backing up these so I can store away the originals. I watched Poopie II & Teenage STrangler yesteray. Such a great time! Mikey should be locked up in the closet! Heh!

Was just checking out the jukebox on the Giant Spider DVD. That was a great idea to include a bunch of song segments like that, complete with video. I think this is one of the top sets along with the one with Manos & Santa Conquers The Martians, Pod People and the one with Overdrawn. Great stuff!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I checked f.y.e.'s website and it's listing it as "backordered". We're just getting lucky when we find those on the shelf. The f.y.e. I went to at Christmas had one Mystery Science Theater 3000 set on the shelf and it was Vol 10. I'm never that lucky. I've expected the DVD set to implode or something any day now. :p

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
Actually Rhino (along with the rest of Warner Music) split from Time-Warner a few years back.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
I just picked this up today at the local Borders in Arizona. Of course it would be at a store with full price on it, but the 20% off coupon really made it much better at $51.00. I am glad though that it is still possible to find new copies NOT at $100 and up from the auction sites.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I made backups of each DVD. I don't want the originals to ever be placed in a player ever again. They're like gold right now. This reminded me I need to backup the MST3K movie too. My dog is prone to chewing up stuff. I could see me coming home and finding "the movie" scattered all over the floor.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Vol. 11: Good or bad news? Depends on how you look at it.

From mst3kinfo.com

VOLUME 11 UPDATE
Our source at Rhino Home Video tells us the release date for The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 11 has been pushed back slightly. It is now tentatively due out on May 15. There is still no word on which episodes will be included.

I say GOOD NEWS! At least it's coming. And I'll be broke until then anyway. Heh!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, I found a place that claims to have volume 10 in stock. Cross your fingers for me, fellows!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ah blast! the place was out of stock and cancled the order. Now, I guess my only option (aside from getting raped on ebay) is - there's a copy in a small town about 100 miles away. Even with the price of gas factored in to the already MSRP, it's still about half as cheap as the alternitive.

The up side was that I found a copy of volume 9 localy here at the Borders. Even got a 10% off coupon on it to boot!

Needless to say, I'm NOT sitting on my hands waiting for the DDD sale to come around when volume 11 hits like I did with 9 and 10.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Aw that sucks. At least you have one you can go get and have a nice bonus road trip to boot! I'm quite happy that I spent $64 on mine. It was a couple hours away by I was going there anyway. :)

I watched #104 from Vol 9 last weekend. It wasn't too funny but still has a nice comforting feel. Those early episodes always do that to me. It was nice seeing Dr. F's first assistant too.

I'm just too darn broke. But I think I'll be buying the 3 I don't have and start looking at what singles to buy too. I'm wondering if any of the singles will find their way into a multi-set.

When I'm done I'm going to look for the best trader out there and buy the rest of this series that way. I"ll upgrade as Rhino gets them out. Life is just too damn short for all this waiting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.