What's new

My Wedding Ring Hates Me! (1 Viewer)

Colton

Supporting Actor
Something about my wedding ring just disagrees with my finger. If I leave it on for just a few days the skin under my ring gets reddish and dry. Do you guys take your wedding ring off before bed or what tips do you have to prevent a wedding ring from damaging your skin?

- Colton

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I doubt you or your wife would like this too much, but you could get a different ring. If you get a titanium or platinum ring you are much lessl likely to have irritations. On the other hand, these metals are much more difficult to resize if you gain or loose too much weight.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
I have white gold and yeah.. my finger is dry underneath..I never wore rings before so
I used to take it off before bed.. but after a few months I got used to it and just left it on..I dont take it off anymore, but if I do its still dry.
just try keeping it on. but if you actually itch or burn..try the other suggestions

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
How long have you been wearing it? This happened to me the first few months I was married. I have a platnium ring, so I don't think the ring was causing it. Drying off my finger, or switching hands for a while after washing my hands seemed to help. I think the water trapped in there was making it rub. Eventually, my finger got used to it, and now I rarely take it off.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I *used* to leave mine on all the time. I've been married for 5 years now, and rarely took it off. However, two weeks ago I noticed similar problems.. red and dry-looking underneath. I took the ring off, and my finger (two weeks later) looks fine, but now I'm in the same boat. How do I wear it? (It's white gold.)

I *have* gained some weight since I quit smoking, so maybe it's a symptom indicating I need to get the ring resized?

Elinor

Supporting Actor
You guys may have mild allergies to one or more of the metals used in the ring. The clear nail polish idea may help provide a barrier. Platinum should be less irritating, as should white gold, but everyone's different ....

Women have this problem commonly with pierced ears ... some just can't wear certain metals.

You could also try a shot of spray/cream Benadryl when it gets too irritated.

As a last resort, you could get divorced so you don't have to wear the ring.

Ok, the last suggestion wasn't serious.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I can't wear mine all the time or my finger looks horrible. My ring has this hollow area inside where the diamonds sit. I think it just gets real humid or something in there or something. Yeah, I'll leave it off for two weeks and the skin starts to peel and it looks normal again. I guess I just need to take it off every night and only wear it when I go out. I'll try the clear nail polish and see if that helps.

Oh, forgot to mention that it smells something horrible after wearing it for a whole day. I don't know why.

- Colton

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Nearly ripped my finger off many years ago when the wedding band got caught on something. Never again, I actually had my first and only panic attack after that because I wanted the damn thing off RIGHT THEN...and I could not move it.
Now I only wear a ring for a very special evening.
Was this post helpful? [c]Not At All {1} {2} {3} {4} {5} {6} {7} {8} {9} {10} Very[/c]

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I had the exact same thing with my ring. Water and moisture from washing would get trapped under the ring and the skin would then get reddish and dry just like you describe.

The problem was the ring was tight enough to not allow the water to evaporate quickly. I had my ring sized a little bigger and the problem went away. Give it a try.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's probably a radiation burn from the electronic transmitter in the ring. :)

Seriously, I only take my ring off when I shower in the morning. I haven't had any problems for 15+ years.

Jamie Goff

Agent
Just tell her, every time my friend talks to another woman the ring becomes so heavy to bear it renders him impotent.;)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
My gold wedding band is fine, but a gold ring my father handed down to me gives me trouble. For the first few months it was fine, then one day the red itch hit. I tried soaking the ring in alcohol thinking it was fungal. No effect. it fits fairly loose already, so - not it. I can only figure it is some sort of reaction to the metal, maybe an alloy or something, but I don't know why it took months to start. Now it only takes a few days. I even tried taking it off at night and it bothered me.

I am really bummed because of the sentiment involved. I'll have to try that nail polish idea. if that does not work I'm stumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks