What's new

My Toshiba 5109 thinks the start of Shrek is multi-angle... (1 Viewer)

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
When I start playing Shrek, my Toshiba 5109 shows the multi-angle icon during the opening title. Once the title goes away and the rest of the opening credits continue to show, the icon disappears.
This happens on both the widescreen and full frame editions.
I don't think this is supposed to happen...or did I miss something?

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
The start of the movie probably is multi-angle. They do this to show titles in different languages ... of course, I don't have the Shrek DVD, so it could be something else. Try watching in a few other languages, and see if the titles change.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Same thing on my Tosh 3109...I've never seen this on any other title.
Tried playing with the camera angle button on the remote but to no avail. Will try the language option.
For a moment there, I thought this would be reminiscent of the N64 where you could rotate and 'play' with the title.
------------------
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I also have a Toshiba 3109 and it does the same thing. I haven't bothered to hit the angle button to see what happens though.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
"The Phantom Menace" does this. The opening title and crawl is in Spanish. The closing credits of "Unbreakable" is this way, too.

HankM

Second Unit
Tomorrow Never Dies did this when I had my Tosh 5109 when a scene did have multi-angle. It used to bug me having that camera in the upper corner so I turned off the on screen displays in the set up menu when I watched a DVD that included multi angles.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Go into your DVD player settings and disable the multi-angle alarm and it should not appear anymore. You have it in enabled so it will warn you when a multi-angle shot is available. This also happens in Crimson tide.
You won't need multi-angle unless you tend to watch adult DVDs. :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Standard for Disney discs and many others, it is used for changing the language of titles cards. As pointed out above there is a preference to remove the onscreen display.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | DVD reviews at dOc

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Its not just your Toshiba, My Pioneer DV-333 does the same thing. And I also change the angle but nothing happens
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Toshiba 6200... Same thing.
------------------
My Home Theater
sign.jpg

My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The above comment that the title cards are in different languages us correct. It also happens to me on TPM. I have a Pioneer DLV-909. It goes away when the titles are over, or it may appear at the end during the credits.
You should be able to get to your DVD player settings when you use your menu function without a DVD in the machine, or in stop mode. At least that's how mine works.
I cannot also click on the multi-angle button to get the other title cards. It gives me a warning on-screen that it will not work during this time.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Multi-angles used this way are "locked", just as "locked" subtitles, language tracks and everything else for that matter...
Every player should have an option to disable the on-screen multi-angle indicator.
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks