What's new

My SVS has aquired a LOUD hum. (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Strange thing. My 16-46pc, which is about 10 months old, always performed flawlessly. Now that I had to move my HT system upstairs, after 2 months of being shut off, my SVS now hums; rather audibly.

It still makes the typical SVS killer bass but, when everything is quiet, it drives me crazy with it hummmmmmmm.

When I turn the TV off, the hum goes away. I haven't tried it yet by unhooking the cable. I'll try that tonight.

You'd think that the tv/cable would be the culprit but, when I'm watching a DVD, and I'm on an animated menu, when the sound loop ends and it restarts, you get that moment of silence. Well, the SVS goes silent too....with the tv still on.

Also, I have 2 Def Tech BP2000TL's that are on the same line, and are powered (much more so than the SVS's internal amp), and they are absolutely silent.

Why would the SVS be the only one affected? And, if the cable it causing the hum, how come the hum disappears when there is a soundtrack break on a dvd menu? Shouldn't it always hum when the tv is on, regardless of what's happening with the dvd???

Kind of confused here. Can't figure it out.

Thank you for any help you guys can give.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Well, I just tried taking the cable off and seeing if that helped. Nope. Still hums loudly even with the cable disconnected.

Also found out that if I press "pause" on the dvd player, the hum goes away then as well.

So, if I turn the tv off with the dvd playing, the hum disappears, if I leave the tv on with the dvd player paused, the hum disappears. Doesn't matter where I plug it in, all outlets act the same way.

...I'm lost. Still no tips???

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Steve,

Since the problem appears to be dependent on audio output from the DVD player, I’d look there first. If you’re using a coaxial digital cable from the DVD player to the receiver, change it.

Happy Holidays,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks