What's new

My summertime DIY project. (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Would removing the wood at the end of the port make up for the amp/driver/bracing displacement? How should I go about bracing this, just with a few cross members of MDF going through the middle?

EDIT:

Anyways, I tried modeling other similarly priced drivers, just to see if the Dayton was my best bet. I used the same amount of power (300W) unless otherwise stated, along with the same 5ft^3 enclosure. Here's my findings:

Elemental Designs 13Kv.2

(still had 2mm left until excursion was met, used a 20Hz Highpass)

Mach 5 MJ-18

(this was modeled using 500W with a 20Hz Highpass and a 25Hz tune)

And, that's pretty much all I can find in the $100-$150 price range... I still think the DAyton is my best bet, do you agree?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Dayton has a 5 year warranty and a proven home theater track record.

The ED subs are very good. I've read reports of people using them for years with no issues. Others have them die out of the box. Support is pretty good. There are a few ED haters but that goes back to the early days and some questionable business practices from the owner. I have used ED subs in the past but they were built by TC Sounds.

The MJ-18 needs a massive box to reach its full potential. Most buy them in 4 packs and install in IB subs.

-Robert

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
So, stay with the Dayton?

I'm going to probably be ordering the driver and amp next week after that paycheck, that way I can build the enclosure while the driver and amp is being shipped out to me, so it's just a matter of putting the driver in the hole, screwing it in, turning it on and playing some test tones.

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Just a random, wild question, is there any other options besides Sealed, ported, IB, and passive radiator subwoofers?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A ported and PR box are really the same. The PR just replaces the port. Both the PR and port are Hemholtz Radiators.

A sealed and IB are the same as well. It's just that the IB is so large, the enclosure has no effect on the driver.

DIY Subwoofers - check the left side of the site for bandpass, TL and dipole subs.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks