What's new

My solution to problem: AV1s + Tempest (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver (Yamaha RXV795), when set mains to large, plays most of the bass to the mains rather then the sub, my sub hardly plays anything at all, and I seemed to be missing a lot from 35-60hz. My solution was this:

My receiver has preouts for ALL channels, and i hooked up the sub to the left channel out and set the xover on the sub to about 50hz. Now it sounds much better. So much more power and authority yet it still blends in well with the mains. I got a rca y cable so i could hook up the sub to the LFE and L channel.

Would I cause any problems by setting it up this way?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
If you're using a PE plate amp, hook the L/R pre-outs up to the subwoofer and adjust its crossover to get a good blending (probably 50-70 Hz). Tell your receiver you have no subwoofer and use left and right only, not LFE.

The only problem with this is that your mains are still being asked to reproduce a full range signal including LFE, which will stress the heck out of them and distort the sound at higher levels. I would recommend running the main pre-outs through an active highpass filter around 60Hz, then back into your amplifier's analog 'pre-ins' to protect the AV1s. By 'pre-ins' I mean the SACD-type inputs that go directly to the amplifiers. That would cut bass from the signal given to your speakers, but at a frequency cutoff you define.

You can buy good active crossovers from Marchand or build one yourself for about $20. I'm considering such a project myself. It's really quite simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks