What's new

My So Called Life - DVD Boxset Release Details (2 Viewers)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Jeff, from my side of thing, which is admittedly your side of things as well, it looks exactly like what you have outlined. Not a happy occurrence.

Makes me wonder how something like "Snow Dogs", which pretty well tanked, or at least only did modestly well, can have a DVD out on the selves mere months from the theatrical release.

We are still waiting to get official, hard copy order confirmations, nevermind the promised softcopy version.

Perhaps we can get some sort of commitmant from TBTB. Not that I am doubting Jason, but as he is not the actual entity prducing the title, we do have to wonder why we don't hear from others.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Lance-

"Snow Dogs" and "MSCL" are completely different and BVHV

I am sure had the DVD being made before the film even

before it hit theaters...as it seems most DVDs of

NEW films are these days.

This is a "get out the dust cloth" and "dig through

the archives" and "get the money" situation because

no matter how much "Snow Dogs" did at the box office,

it will sell to certain kiddies.

regards,

Mark

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Before I post my message from the MSCL.com site, let me confirm that THE SNAIL MAILS WERE JUST SENT OUT. People are writing to me to say that they are getting them. Of course, I thought I would know before they went out... in any case, here is the most recent post I just put up on MSCL.com's forum.
----------------------------
Well, well, well. Today was a great day. Some days have been good and others have been not as good.
For instance:
"good" = when we got Winnie, Marshall and Ed to do interviews
"not as good" = when we flew Dan out to LA to interview cast, and things came apart the day before.
"not as good" = any kind of delays
However, I spoke with BMG and confirmed 2 things today:
1) All of the music in the DVDs has been cleared
2) The lunchbox has been cleared as long as it is used as packaging, and not made available for individual sale (which was the point anyway). So... whatever you do... be sure not to carry your lunch in it!!!
Anyhoo, the two things holding this up, the lunchbox and the tracks (which, in a worst case scenario might have meant having to edit out a scene --something we were not willing to do) are no longer problems and production moves ahead at a very rapid pace.
For those who wonder why we have to worry about stuff like this, the DVD box set is being done 100% by-the-book, legal. Everyone is getting paid for their music, artwork, etc.
Basically, the one wildcard right now is rescheduling the cast interviews. With all of the other stuff out of the way, I should be able to focus on this and assist the MSCL.com in getting cast members together.
Best,
Jason
PS: It is my understanding that snail mail confirmations went out, and are starting to be received. In case you are wondering why they were printed so much earlier than they were shipped... we had a lot of unconfirmed orders and declined credit cards. It is easier to manage if we can give people a uniform date to expect it, otherwise we would generate a lot of unnecessary emails.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
It is important that I restate that 1) it looks like we are out of the woods and, 2) this delay was out of the hands of AU.
At about 2:30 PM today, I personally spoke with the VP in charge of the DVD, Steve Cooper. I also spoke with Jennifer Shapiro who was working on the licensing for BMG Special Products. I know both of them, as I once worked with them.
They both assured me that the two major snags had been resolved. You might find it ironic that it was due to a much needed contact at BV being on vacation for a month.
The last obstacle is the cast interviews. Again, the box set can be called complete now, even without it, but I think that this would add significant value, as long as the delay is not very long. Nevertheless, it would be wrong to blame AU here. AU flew a MSCL.com rep and their own employee to film the interviews, as they did with Winnie, Ed and Marshall. Unfortunately, some of the cast members pulled out at the last minute. They are going to fly another team out, hopefully next week. I might even haul my butt out there this time, despite my aversion to flying.
Basically, I understand the frustration. BELIEVE ME, I honestly feel it every time I pop another Tums :). However, this is being done the right way, with as much fan involvement and quality as possible, and without undue delay.
As soon as I schedule the cast interview, I will be prepared to update with an accurate release date. All I know is that I am breathing much easier this evening, now that I know the major hurdles are out of the way.
Jason

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Are snail-mail confirmations going out to every order, or just those who asked for them?

Lunchbox looks great!

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
It is my understanding that all confirmed orders are getting them. I know it seems weird to wait to send them all at once, but at least it makes the response period more predictable for AU.com.

As to why mass email has not announced the snail mails yet... by the time the email is read, I am hoping that many people will have received the confirmations, therefore reducing the number of emails asking about the address it was sent to, etc.

Also, I am trying to get clearance for cool video clip to place in the email (new footage). As a link, not an attachment. Worry not.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Also, not to be a pest, but I wanted to mention one more thing.

Both AU.com and I thought that production could and should have begun even before clearances were in for all music. We figured a little editing would always be possible in a worst-case scenario. BMG absolutely said they could not do it. This was obviously frustrating to me (i've posted here about it before).

Nevertheless, BMG is insisting that this can be turned around very quickly now.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
PS: It is my understanding that snail mail confirmations went out, and are starting to be received.
My snail mail was waiting for me when I got home. Good news on the clearances. My wife and sister-in-law are looking forward to their sets!
Vacations, schmacation...who needs it? :D

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It is my understanding that all confirmed orders are getting them. I know it seems weird to wait to send them all at once, but at least it makes the response period more predictable for AU.com.
That's absolutely fine. I shall be checking my mailbox with baited breath when I get home tonight then :)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Jason, once again thanks for the outstanding feedback. Mark, yes I know that in reality there is a "big difference" between SD and MSCL, but it can be frustrating.

On a positive note, I got home today and the snail mail confirmation was in the post. Hurray!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm glad to hear that more progress has been made. I hate being the squeaky wheel but...
Now that the lunchbox art is public, which of the fronts is being used? The one with the cast or the solo of Claire? Any word on the cases that will be used for the discs yet? Artwork? ;)

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Which lunchbox cover? Perhaps we should hold a vote. That would be kinda cool. I like the one with CD in the center. It looks more artistic. However, i think some fans will like having the kids on it

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Jason I agree with you. I think that the one with Claire in the center would look much better on my shelf. Of course I am a big fan of hers so I might be a little biased. But I really do think this one is just a better overall picture.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I like the Claire Daines pic, and it makes the most sense conceptually. I do fear a lack of Devon Odessa on the box if the group pic isn't used. I like the other group pic from this shoot better this one.
I'd almost prefer the CD pic and the group pic over the family shot. I like mom and dad, but...
If this pic were used (and was a better scan) I'd vote for this on the back and CD on the front. Covers everyone.
Now, if the individual discs are going to each get a case, then I'd vote for each of the kids getting a cover...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The Claire Danes pic works best for me.
No snailmail confirmation waiting for me last night. Bah, damn our slow local mail service! ;)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Geez Dave, I posted a new poll there a few weeks ago :P
I wouldn't mind hosting the poll thing at all. It could be a "secret" URL only sent out to those people that ordered the set. Hah...probably result in more email for Jason to deal with :frowning:
Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks