What's new

My room is 1,600 cu. ft. sealed - what sort of SPL's? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
My room is 1,600 cu. ft. and I can seal it (close doors, no openings.) With something like the SVS PB2-ISD, what sort of SLP's could I get? This would be corner loaded, so thats worth some points.

In general, I am wondering how insane a sub like that would be in a small room like mine.

Thanks!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
In the stock tune with all three ports open, corner loaded in that room with all openings sealed - my guess is about 118-120 (corrected) >25 Hz at the key listening positions. This assumes the mic is not placed in a room null (which can really suck out SPL). Move the mic around to experiment to get some average readings.

118-120 corrected will read about 114-116 on a C-weighted SPL meter for frequencies in the 25-30 Hz region. The RS meter isn't terribly accurate at high SPL and gives inconsistent readings, though.

I wouldn't try to blow the sub for the sake of hitting some arbitrary number on a $25 meter - it's just not worth it. Suffice it to say, the PB2-ISD should cleanly play loud enough for nearly any sane person in that size room.

Of course SVS makes even bigger/badder subs (PB2+ and B4+) for the occasional true subhuman out there. ;)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Cool.

My JBL Pro 4648A-8 has been on a extended vacation due to its 180 watts of weak power. I think that littl eguy just died, and I am looking at something in the 500-1000 watt range to reall yget things moving.

With the 180 watt amp (Parts Express one), I was running into clipping often, and had to put a 30 Hz. high-pass on it just to save the amp and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks