My room is 1,600 cu. ft. sealed - what sort of SPL's?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kenneth Harden, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

My room is 1,600 cu. ft. and I can seal it (close doors, no openings.) With something like the SVS PB2-ISD, what sort of SLP's could I get? This would be corner loaded, so thats worth some points.

In general, I am wondering how insane a sub like that would be in a small room like mine.

Thanks!

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

In the stock tune with all three ports open, corner loaded in that room with all openings sealed - my guess is about 118-120 (corrected) >25 Hz at the key listening positions. This assumes the mic is not placed in a room null (which can really suck out SPL). Move the mic around to experiment to get some average readings.

118-120 corrected will read about 114-116 on a C-weighted SPL meter for frequencies in the 25-30 Hz region. The RS meter isn't terribly accurate at high SPL and gives inconsistent readings, though.

I wouldn't try to blow the sub for the sake of hitting some arbitrary number on a $25 meter - it's just not worth it. Suffice it to say, the PB2-ISD should cleanly play loud enough for nearly any sane person in that size room.

Of course SVS makes even bigger/badder subs (PB2+ and B4+) for the occasional true subhuman out there. [​IMG]

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Cool.

My JBL Pro 4648A-8 has been on a extended vacation due to its 180 watts of weak power. I think that littl eguy just died, and I am looking at something in the 500-1000 watt range to reall yget things moving.

With the 180 watt amp (Parts Express one), I was running into clipping often, and had to put a 30 Hz. high-pass on it just to save the amp and speakers.