What's new

My receiver is weird (1 Viewer)

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
It seems like whenever I am watching a music related DVD (rock in rio etc..) I have to turn my Subs up 10 db. Is this normal? My receiver is a Marantz SR4200.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If you're sub is powered it shouldn't be an issue. Also, bear in mind that if there's no low bass in the program material there is no low bass to come out of the sub. You want a balanced, natural mix.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it is normal, but I have seen discs, that I had to crank the sub. But not all of them.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bass varies from disc to disc. If it is consistent with all discs though, it sounds like you have something configured wrong. There is a setting for DD and DTS for how bass is handled (+10, 0 and -10).

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
It seems to be a consistant problem with all music discs, my receiver has the option for (-10db,0db, or off) for the LFE attenuation. I always set it to 0 accept when listening to PCM then I alway's turn it off.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have used a 5200, 6200, 6300, 7300, an currently own an 8300 and I have never had to change this setting.

Are you using analog or digital connections for multi-channel (guessing digital since you mention PCM)? For PCM, it should make no difference since there is NO LFE in stereo PCM (will vary with DTS tracks). What is the goal? Have you calibrated your system with test tones and an SPL meter? What source(s) are you using?

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
When I use any PCM source there is alway's plenty of bass but when I'm listening to DTS or DD tracks on any music DVD I've tried so far the bass level is alway's very weak. My receiver is very weird I know that when it receives a stereo PCM track it should make no difference what the LFE level is set at, but it does if I turn it on I get about a 3db boost in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks