What's new

my R2 Terminator has DVD rot (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Apologies if this topic has already been posted.

Apparently a limited number of R2 Terminators have a type of rot (basically the layers are coming apart). I checked mine today and it definitely has it. I know a helpline for refunds is being set up. Anyone know if it's operational yet, please?

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
The helpline number has not been released yet.
Also it won't be for a refund I believe only to get replacement disks.

Problem affects UK R2 Terminator and Silence of the Lambs SE from MGM. R4 disks from MGM seem okay not sure about continental Europe R2 though.

MGM claim the problem is caused by an interaction between the dye used for the picture side of the disks and the glue that binds the disk together.

Also they said only small numbers but it seems to apply to most early pressings of each DVD so could well be over 100,000 affected. How many of the public realise this is small as unless an avid DVD follower on the internet you have missed this until you try and replay the disk, which many be months or years later. Many films I have only watched once on its original purchase.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Is this a UK-only problem? Just last week I picked up the R2 Swedish release of The Terminator and haven't noticed a problem yet (I haven't played the discs yet, though). Should I be concerned?

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Problem seems to be with the UK versions of these titles.
These have I believe only an English language track but then multiple subtitle tracks.

Therefore may well have been sold in other countries if they did not include a local dubbed track.

From what I have seen the problem was with the Technicolor ? pressing plant here in the UK. So depends if Swedish DVDs are pressed in the UK, Sweden or elsewhere.

The problem is very apparent if you have it (my Terminator has the problem).
Look at the shinny side of the disk. If these has a very noticeable cloudy / milky white colour ie no longer shinny then may well be affected. Also disk is reported to feel slightly tacky / moist, I have not tried to test for this as don't want finger prints on the data side of the disk.
I have seen in discussions on this problem that other perfectly okay disks may have some cloudiness.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input, guys. My disc has what Malcolm has described - for want of a better description, it looks as if there's condensation inside the disc.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here is an update from www.dvdtimes.co.uk
We now have the number for you to call if you're having problems with your Terminator or Silence of the Lambs as reported previously.
The number to call is 0800 3898 384 (UK only)
:emoji_thumbsup:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info - when I rang the number, I got a message which told me to return faulty discs (plus original packaging) to 'FREEPOST DVD RETURN' - unless my hearing's faulty, that's it, the full address!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks