What's new

My Friend Irma (1949) would like a Blu...along with Martin & Lewis (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Now here's one from a corner of movie history that has its roots in the Golden Age of Radio. Having SiriusXM satellite radio, I can listen to the Radio Classics channel where I have caught some of the My Friend Irma radio shows. I for one, being a guy, would love to see the gorgeous blonde Marie Wilson on blu.
Most notable about this film though is the introduction of Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin to the world of Hollywood movies. In fact many who saw this film believe that the now-legendary Martin & Lewis duo overshadowed the main stars in this film. You be the judge.
Oh and this week we are celebrating Jerry Lewis's 88th Birthday and he's still going strong.
My Friend Irma has seen a couple of DVD releases, most notably as a part of the eight-film DVD set, the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis Collection: Volume One. If they ever re-release this set on blu, I hope they include My Friend Irma (and it's sequel, My Friend Irma Goes West).
MyFriendIrma_Movie.jpg

Paramount currently holds the right. Someone please enlighten me as who which studio Paramount farms out their catalog titles to most of the time.

Wiki Article on My Friend Irma

IMDB Movie Info
"My Friend Irma was supposed to be a straightforward adaptation of the popular radio sitcom of the same name. The film's focus therefore was supposed to be on air-headed Irma Peterson (Marie Wilson), her levelheaded roommate, Jane Stacy (Diana Lynn, taking over from the radio series' Cathy Lewis), and their various romantic misadventures. But the audience tended to ignore Irma, Jane, and the others in favor of two movie newcomers: Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, cast respectively as would-be singer Steve Laird and dumb-dumb restaurant employee Seymour."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jerry Lewis is my all-time favorite comic.

Would love to see a bulk of Jerry's films make it to Blu-ray.

I am not too optimistic that will happen given the current state of
affair with the format, but anything can happen.

The Nutty Professor was farmed out to Warner Bros. Not sure
how many other Dean Martin and/or Jerry Lewis films are being
farmed out (if at all).

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Artists and Models" was built for Blu-ray. A glorious VistaVision production, eye popping colours. Great musical numbers and a young Shirley MacLaine as the 'Bat-Lady'.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ronald Epstein said:
Jerry Lewis is my all-time favorite comic.

Would love to see a bulk of Jerry's films make it to Blu-ray.

I am not too optimistic that will happen given the current state of
affair with the format, but anything can happen.

The Nutty Professor was farmed out to Warner Bros. Not sure
how many other Dean Martin and/or Jerry Lewis films are being
farmed out (if at all).
You did mention the format which I assume is blu-ray.
If the blu-ray sales results (read stampede) for Frozen are any indication, Blu-ray is here to stay (hey, I rhymed it) for quite a while. Released on March 18th, I hit up a Punta Gorda, FL Wal-Mart on the 19th. Blu-rays were sold out!!

Which greatly increases the odds we'll see a lot more of Jerry Lewis on blu-ray.

Now if they'd only get the blus out for Way Way Out (1966) and Artist & Models (1955)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks