What's new

My Entire DVD Collection Was Stolen Last Night (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I believe "Breaking and Entering" is a misdemeanor whereas "Stealing" is considered the felony.

They basically both boil down to "Illegal", it's just the 2 terms desribe how severe the punishment is when caught.

p.s. I'm sure there's a $$ point where the felony becomes larceny (or some other term)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Someone broke into my neighbors apartment once in college. They didn't know a sleeping doberman was inside. He was almost mauled to death before some neighbors starting hitting with dog with a golf club. Little did those people know they were helping the burglar. The good news was the cops went to the hospital where the ambulance took him and arrested him afterwards.

EDIT: and it's worth noting that the guy that did it knew who he was from a friend. kind of funny that he never heard about the dog though.

Larceny is different charge than burglary. Larceny is stealing something that is not in your possession but you do own it. Like stealing a bike out of your yard, stealing a tool out of an open garage. Burglary is involved in stealing something that is actually under your possession like taking something out of the trunk of your car or taking jewelry out of your house.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Wow Chuck. It's horrible that the cops are not even helping you out at this point. :frowning:

I continue to wish you the best of luck in replacing your collection.

The folks at Best Buy sure were nice to offer you a chair and something to drink.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice about continuing to update the insurance company about titles I think of in the mean time. I will do that in the next couple of days. Once again, the continued support of all of you mean alot. I really hope American Family Insurance comes through for me. I kind of have to laugh a little because I told the Claims lady that Video Store Magazine had interviewed me about my ordeal and I would continue to update them through my insurance settlement. She commented that "I was putting pressure on her." I laughed and assued her that was not the case, but I really was. I'll certainly comment that they were fair or unfair, whichever the case may be.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Chuck but, atleast you're safe and nothing else was stolen. I hope you're able to atleast rebuild the majority of your collection.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im sorry to hear about what happened Chuck. :frowning:

Ive had a couple cars broken into and I was pissed so believe me I feel for you. I cant imagine losing so many DVDs.

I do work in insurance. Granted I work mostly motorcyles but I do mobile homes as well. I hate to tell you this but if your insurance is anything like the mobile home insurance my company issues, you arent going to get much back. Someone posted earlier in this thread that theres a limit on DVDs, cds and electronic equipment, theyre right. I would hound that adjuster and fight for anything you can get. If you have any questions or need help finding a rare title feel free to PM me here on the forum. I dont check my email hardly at all.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Matt:

I own a regular frame and foundation home and have replacement cost insurance. Is it possible that there may be no limit on dvds versus a mobile home policy? I sure hope so. I do intend to hound the adjuster. I spent 10 minutes talking to her today and layed out exactly what happened. I was extremely well documented on what was taken and had pictures of my system including my 5 empty dvd racks. I am hoping for the best.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
This certainly served as a wake up call to me. I never considered how much money I have invested in DVDs. Just a rough estimate of 150 titles at $20 each is $3,000! My DVD collection is the most valuable thing I own, other than my car. I need to buy a new rack to hold my DVDs anyway, so I think I'm going to invest in one that closes and locks. At least then they won't be on display and an obvious target for thieves.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Chuck,
Do you have "Replacement cost" for the home (in case of total loss for fire etc) or personal effects?

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
WOW!! Sorry for the HUGE pain in the a$$. :frowning:

I have had my vehicle broken into twice. I have jeep Wrangler with a soft top. Thieves have to be the dumbest most ignorant F&*KS on the face of the planet. Not only did they CUT though my soft top but they mangled the dash getting the CD player out. Now if anyone has ever looked at a soft top all you have to do is UNZIP the windows to get in(great considering I always lock my keys inside). But that type of reasoning takes an IQ over say 58. So they cut thtough the top to get in causing well over $1500 worth of damage on the two seperate break-ins. The second was the last. I have a solid steel center console that holds the new deck and anything else I can jam in it. This has a lock and for the most part rock solid. I also bought rear speakers, put them in boxes, bolted the boxes to the wheel well, and screwed the speakers into the boxes. The last step was to drill out the screw heads so that the speakers DO NOT come out. Of course they could try and rip out the boxes but more than likely they would end up ruining the boxes as well as the speakers.

I have told all of my friends that If I ever get ripped off again, and catch the guy doint it, they will see me on the evening news :D . I HATE THIEVES! Message to theives: GET AN F'IN JOB YOU LAZY BASTARDS!!!!!

Rant over.

I am truelly sorry and hope everything turns out alright!!!

CF

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
A Display case that locks and is attached to a wall isn't a bad idea. I have some of my Next Generation Sets in another location. It's secure enough, but I don't want to have to spend 500$'s having to replace it and the other DVD's I have there as well...

If anyone finds something, please let me know..

And something that looks nice, otherwise the parental units will never allow it to be put up :).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Two things that scare me - theft and fire.

I have so much stuff that would be impossible to replace.

A few years ago when living with a friend, he wanted to bring in a stranger to help pay the rent. I said I would move out becase there was no way I was living with someone else. My guitars, DVDs,comic books etc could easily disappear.I dont ave alot, I like it that way, but whats mine is mine and I pity the fool who tried to take it from me.They better never let me catch them.

I also kept locks on my door that only I had keys to.

Its worth getting some sort of alarm system,even if you renting. I Rotty or Pitbull will work just as well:)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Mathew,

I do have replacement cost insurance. I don't know for sure that my policy will cover the DVD's for replacement, however, I hold out hope that they will. Frankly, if the insurance company pays off, I expect them to drop my coverage as soon as my policy expires. Gotta love insurance companies, don't you?

Chuck:

More rock salt might be an option. I now park my truck in my garage since moving my ex girlfriends furniture out. I have purchased a new pump shotgun. Rock salt could be an option. lol

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck Watwood, I like to ask you some questions. I hope you do not mind:

a) Do you live in a neighborhood with a crime problem?
b) Do you live in an area that has many young people? I often assume that if there are many young people, there will be more crime.
c) Have you noticed any suspicious people or vehicles near where you live before the crime was committed?
d) Had the authorities collected evidence, such as fingerprints, hair or DNA samples?
e) You mentioned that your door was broken in. Do you suspect that the culprit is a short or tall person?
e) Are you known to carry large amounts of purchases into your home?

I am very sorry that the theft occurred, and let us hope the the individual or individuals involved are caught and prosecuted.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
David,

First of all, you have to realize that this is Southwest Missouri. In the county that I live in, they have two detectives, one of which is assigned to all breakins and burglaries. To answer your questions:

There is a crime problem in the county, much of it methanphetamine related. I don't know what the percentage of young people are here, I assume just like any other place. I live on a dead end road and few cars travel down my road. I suspect someone my ex girlfriend knows. I have given the police a name based on her testimony. There was no fingerprints or DNA evidence collected. When I mentioned fingerprints, the police deputy laughed at me. The detective assigned to my case told me that even if they took fingerprints,s it would take a year to get the results back. It was 3 weeks later that he finally talked to me after I called him. He hadn't even looked at my case yet. As far as a tall or short man breaking into my house? My front door was smashed in. The casing was shattered. Looks like they used a landscaping block and beat my door directly on the deadbolt tumbler. I don't advertise any of my purchases to anybody, ever. Basically the police aren't too enthused about doing anything. I am just one of many many thefts in this area. I intend to get a viscious dog to go along with the alarm system and shotgun. :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
My grandpa lives in the same general part of the country (Cahokia, IL), and several years ago he had a break-in where his guns and all the family Christmas presents were stolen. He was home at the time and could have easily been shot. When his wife aked if the cops were going to dust for prints they responded "we're not TV cops, ma'am."

So my advice is to consider a career in burglary. It seems pretty easy to get away with. You'd have your DVDs back in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks