What's new

My Dream Theater/Joe Satriani Concert Experience (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Dream Theater's setlist:
Finally Free Outro
Take the Time (minus the ending verse)
Fatal Tragedy
Misunderstood
Lie (extended)
Peruvian Skies
The Spirit Carries On
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (full)
Overture was shortened heavily, Lie was extended greatly, and Solitary Shell was also extended. First off, King's X was very good, much better than expected. I didn't enjoy the first song, but after that they really got pretty good. Dream Theater had some sound problems through Take the Time, Fatal Tragedy, and Peruvian Skies but nothing too distracting and overall they sounded excellent the whole way, much better than the previous Phoenix show. This is when me and my friends started having problems with the crowd. The guy asked us to sit down. We declined as it is a CONCERT for godsake. At a concert you do not sit down and stare off into space which was basically what they were doing. Anyway, Dream Theater finished and there was an intermission and Satch came on. I believe the setlist went something like this:
Flying In A Blue Dream
Crushing Day
Devil's Slide
Satch Boogie
Cool #9
Mind Storm
Seven String
Midnight (he said he hadn't done this one in years)
Starry Night
I Believe
Always With Me, Always With You
The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
Raspberry Jam Delta-V
The band said goodbye and many people left. Although the people who were NOT dumb started chanting for Joe and came back out and played as the encore:
Summer Song
Again, this set isn't for sure. I'm writing it only due to memory. Overall Joe played amazing. His set was every bit as good as Dream Theater possibly better. This is ALSO when me and my friends started getting cups, wrappers, and bottles thrown at us from drunken old people behind us who were too lazy to stand up. Instead they were yelling and got security to tell us to sit down for the remainder of the show. WHAT?? It's a concert! Half the place is standing, yet we were told to sit? At one point an old fat lady came up and grabbed my friends arm and squeezed it. I was simply amazed at these people. Anyway, I turned around, dissed all their asses, gave em the finger and basically ignored everything they did or said. Obviously were not there to enjoy the music and let themselves go. I urge everyone to go to this amazing show, it's worth every bit of the money you pay.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ooh, I'm going see that show on September 12 in Boston.
And, if circumstances with family events and Jewish holidays bring my home that weekend, I might go to the one in NY on the 14th. *crosses fingers*

I had read that King's X might be opening, but wasn't sure. Thanks for making my day with that great news!

I can't believe that three of my favorite bands are sharing a stage together.

I saw King's X in a small club recently. Man, what fun. Hearing them do We Were Born To Be Loved is always a kick.

I've seen Dream Theater many times but also look forward to doing it again.

The biggest kick for me will be Satch, since I've never seen him perform live.

9/12 can't come fast enough!
Fortunately, I have Jethro Tull and Tool to hold me over until then.

NP: Chick Corea, Origin Complete Blue Note, disc 6

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
got me some tickets for the sept 5 show in Baltimore.

ROW J !!!!!!!

hellz yeah

sorry for the ghetto talk...i'm sick

StevenW

Second Unit
Going to see them tonight, 6 rows back from the stage. I cant wait, it will be my first time seeing them live.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Just saw them tonight. Wow!

Satriani was very good, but DT was tremendous. The setlist Rich listed for Satch was the same, but DT's was totally different (they apparently switched when they started playing after Satriani, which I believe began with shows east of the Mississippi).

***Spoilers***

The highlights for me were the Jordan piano solo--which I didn't think they'd do as they only played for 90 minutes--and the encore, which was Take the Time segueing into an outstanding cover of Rush's By-Tor and the Snow Dog. During the "battle" scene, Petrucci and Rudess went back and forth, each one attempting to outgun the other.

Other songs they played (that I remember):

Pull Me Under
"Instrumelody" (various bits from Dance of Eternity, Erotomania, etc.)
Strange Deja Vu
Solitary Shell
Blind Faith

The only negative was the shortness of the set. I could watch those guys for five hours!

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I saw this show tonight. It was a good show. Kings-X was decent. Not really my type of music and the sound mix was a little crappy.

Satriani was awesome. Midnight was just so cool how he "taps" the whole song.

I'm not a Dream Theatre fan, so I took off part way into their set. I just couldn't get into it.

All in all it was well worth the $3 the show cost me (parking).

Seth

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Saw them last night.
The show was scheduled to start 7:30. We were driving up to the place a few minutes before that and King's X was already playing! They started early. :confused: By the time we parked and got to our seats, I only heard three songs: Lost in Germany, a nice long version of Cigarettes with a guitar solo, and We Were Born To Be Loved.
Seeing them as an opening act bothered me. They are way better than that. The seats were half-empty, the set was short- it felt a little wrong to me that a great band with a following who have been around for so long were put in the same position as some out-of-high-school starting band. But it did make me realise that they are a club act. Their music is very powerful in a room full of fans and a cozy atmosphere. Fortunately, I've seen them a number of times that way.
I didn't know which would be the next act, so when the lights went down and the audience applauded, I was applauding for... whoever! The intro for Flying in A Blue Dream starts up and I was in for a treat.
Satch is the man, what can I say? It was my first time seeing him. Who needs singers? This was great. The set list was pretty much the same as that posted by Rich Romero. He pretty much stuck to his core material, and the new stuff is great. He has the audience singing along with his riffs at the beginning to Cool #9. His encore was Friends.
Dream Theater are rock gods. It's just that simple, folks. I've seen them so many times already, so I was much more interested in Satch. Somehow, they still manage to impress me. I had seen them earlier on the tour when they did not share the bill, and they played all the stuff Rich posted plus some more (obviously they played longer then). Remarkably, last night their set list was different than that and what people have posted so far (the following is a crude, non-chronological list):
New Millenium
6:00
Strange Deja Vu
War Inside My Head
Misunderstood
Lie
an instrumental medley
Part of Lines in the Sand
encore: Learning To Live
Lie featured one of the most stunning vocal performances outside of opera I've ever seen. That song is pretty mundane for DT, but they played with such energy that it was a highlight.
The instrumental medly thing was a gas. Started off with a condensed Dance of Eternity, then Erotomania, a whole bunch of Liquid Tension Experiment stuff (excerpts from at least three different LTE songs!), Metropolis I, and closing it off with Eternity again. James LaBrie riding around the stage on a scooter added to the musical experience, of course. Definitely geared towards DT fans and a lot of fun.
Another highlight was during Lines in the Sand when Doug Pinnick of King's X came out to sing the same part he sings on the album. It was so lovely to him and La Brie singing together, it made me feel all warm and squishy.
The bad:
I already covered my issues with King's X.
No Jordan Rudess solo. Oh well, at least I was one of the very few people who got to see Liquid Tension Experiment live a while back.
Neither DT nor Satch mentioned the other act- no thank yous, nothing. I hope they didn't get into some silly argument, especially now that they changed the order of their performances.
1 hour is simply too short for DT to play. It felt like 5 minutes.
Still, a wonderful concert. DT entertained me more than I thought they would (and I have pretty high expectations of them!), and Satch was a blast.
NP: Genesis, Trespass

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

After the concert did the venue play some Jordan Rudess tapes? I remember hearing a piano-only version of a song from SFAM as we were exiting. I told myself it would be great to get ahold of that!

Was the encore just LTL or did they tack on any By-Tor at the end?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks