What's new

My dilemma - longish (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Thanks to all of the great help that I have gotten on this forum for the last few months I have put together a decent HT system without breaking the bank. I am using a Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver with a pair of Klipsch KG-2s as mains, a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-1s for surrounds, a Klipsch KV-2 center and a Sony SA-WM20 sub.

I know that the Sony sub is a weak point and I plan to upgrade to a DLS 10 as soon as they are back in stock. Here is my dilemma - I am thinking of buying either a pair of Athena ASB1s or something similar for the surrounds and putting the C-1s up front as the mains. But the more I listen to what I have, the more I like it. I want to replace the KG-2s only because they are old, but they really sound great. My other concern with them is that they are 4 ohm speakers and I am afraid that I am working the panny too hard.

Any advice would be appreciated on this issue.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
If you like the sound then i think you should stay....i dont know about driving the panny too hard but with my experiences with panasonic i think that thing will fry =) if i were you i would stay with the klipsch up front and get a 2 ch amp.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
"...they are 4 ohm speakers and I am afraid that I am working the panny too hard."

You might be. Is the panny rated for 4 ohm speakers? Does it run real hot? if so, you may be overworking it and shortening the receiver's life. An external cooloing fan may help, but I would contact Panasonic and ask about it's ability to handle the 4 ohm speakers.

"I want to replace the KG-2s only because they are old, but they really sound great"

If the panny can handle the speakers and you like the sound- don't upgrade because they are old speakers. Some older speakers sound better to my ears than the newer models. Now if you like the sound of another pair better than your old pair- that's a different story, and may solve the 4 ohm problem- if it is a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks