What's new

My Denon was made on Sept 2003 and in China!...The pain... (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I just discovered that my Denon 2900 was made in China, What the heck is that all about. I thought they were made in Japan. the date on the back states that it was manufactured on september of 2003 and made in CHINA CHINA CHINA. I was in for a sueprise when I saw it, maybe everybody else's was made in China too. Should I be worried?

Worried about what?

China is a massive assembler for all sorts of major companies now, using components made everywhere, including there. Get used to it... just like we did w/ Japan 30 years ago...:)

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator
It's likely that it's the same materials, design, and construction techniques used as if it were made in Japan......it just costs them less to pay the people working the machines in China.

Luis M

Second Unit
I understand it should be the same, it's just that so many people are always saying they prefer eletronics made in Japan over any other place. My HDTV was made in Mexico, My cdr in Hungary, my speakers in Canada, cables USA. It's not a rack anymore, it's the United Nations building.. ;)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
As a fan of Technics equipment, when I sold it at a big-box store in the mid 90s it was our most reliable equipment we sold by far......and it was made in Japan.

Now that it's not made there, IMO it is not the same. And that's all I will say about that.

:frowning:

LJ

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Lance; Your post means what?? Its not the same in what way? You still sell it or own one?

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I have yet to see a solidly built piece of equipment from China...It's nothing to do with the country, it's the manufactures that are cutting costs in materials and labor.

My 2.5 year old Panasonic built in Japan was great (dvd-a PLAYER RA-60). A build quality like the one of this unit would cost you close to $1k today.:thumbsdown:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Most DVD players are assembled in China. All but the top-of-the-line models from the Japanese OEMs are outsourced to Chinese and Taiwanese factories. The same factory, in fact, will produce models for several companies — Toshiba, Denon, Mitsubishi, etc.

You get the same manufacterer's warranty, so don't sweat it. The Chinese are perfectly capable.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Yeah, I think we really better get used to China manufacturing not just electronics, but everything. Look at how many US companies are closing shop here and moving to China. It's not Mexico anymore, it's China.

Luis M

Second Unit
"You get the same manufacterer's warranty, so don't sweat it. The Chinese are perfectly capable."

That may be true but my Denon's face plate and the sides of the unit do not evenly meet at the front of the player on the right side, I know this is a minor issue but one can only wonder if the same thing is going on inside the player.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Luis, if you're within the 30-day return window with that Denon and if the aesthetic problem annoys you enough (it would me), then ask for a replacement. You paid for a correctly manufactured player, and if the front panel is out of alignment, you have a valid complaint, IMO.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
It's been my experience that alot of junk comes out of China. The only thing these corporations understand is the almighty dollar. If something doesn't work, does what it's supposed to do etc. I'm taking it back for a refund. I'm tired of waiting around for firmware fixes, upgrades and for somebody in Japan to figure it out. When they have a few thousand returned units maybe they will change manufacturing sites. I know this has happened with Mexico in the past. Some jobs actually came back to the U.S. because of the better quality work done here.

Well said... and I like your sig. line too! The last 2 pieces of crud I bought were made in Alabama and Puerto Rico... and we all know what country they are part of~!

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
This kind of thing kills me. If the majority of people who make blanket statements like "Stuff made in China is junk" and "Brand X is the best, I only buy their stuff" really knew the sources of a lot of things they'd just die.

For instance, all the people who tout the Toshiba portable DVD players as the best due to their build quality and superior workmanship, etc. would probably never believe they're actually made by Mintek for Toshiba. That's right, Mintek, a low cost CHINESE manufacturer whose own products sell at cut rate prices through mass merchandisers and drug store chains.

And for the Sony lovers, LG makes every Sony plasma on the market right now. Yeah, crappy Korean technology.

This is the global economy, deal.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I take great pride in my practically all-Chinese made system. Not just because I am Chinese, but gosh darnit, it sounds good too.

Cambridge Audio A500 stereo integrated amp (made in China)
Sony DVP-NS500 SACD/DVD player (OK, made in Malaysia)
NHT SB2 (made in China)

Now eyeing Music Hall CD player....surprise, made in China too! I am so proud of my fellow countrymen :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Danny,

You sure have me wanting to look over all my equipment for the (Made in "insert country here") sticker / label.

Hmm, what was that thing again that killed the cat??
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks