What's new

My dad bought me a HT from BB, need help with return/exchange advice... (1 Viewer)

bgsitizen

Auditioning
Real Name
stefan
Hi all, recently I bought a house and sterted thinking about a home theater. I have an AKAI 42" (no HDMI) rear projection TV which for now swits my needs and I dont plan to upgrade in the next two years. Last week on Craigs list I found somone that lives near me and was selling a brand new pair of JBL E60's and a JBL EC25 for $200. I went and picked them up right away and I hope so I didnt make a mistake buying them before really reading about them. Next that happens is my dad decides to buy me something for the new house so he goes to BB and he buys:

Denon AVR-1907 reciever ($549+tax)

Mirage OMNI S8 subwoofer($299+tax)

BOSE 161 surrounds($140 for a pair +tax)

Now, I'm a newb so I'm totaly unable to tune this setup, it sounds like crap. My living room is 17x15 so I think the sub is adequate. The reciever is ok I guess but I'm not crazy about it.

Here is my dilema:

I'm keeping the BOSE surrounds, I like the way they sound and look. I dont know about the sub (I love the wat it looks) and reciever especialy after I checked what my dad paid for them. He thinks he knows everything so I really need to prove him there are better stuff for the money he spent.

I was looking at the Pioneer - Elite VSX-80TXV Receiver or the 1016, are they better than my Denon?

Also I've read thet the S8 is an awsome sub for music(which I listen to a lot) so maybe I can tune it right.

Do I need HDMI to future proof my reciever...? So many questions....

I'm sure many of you could put their self in my shoes so please help.

I have a month to make up my mind.

Thanks!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I think your dad did a pretty good job, except for the Bose. I, and most people into HT, have nothing nice to say about Bose! You can buy much better for the same money. See this review: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I think the Denon is a better receiver, though I'm sure some will disagree. That's more of a personal taste issue. Both are good.
I'm not familiar with the sub you have. I'm sure it's a good one, for the money. A sub that would be better for a large room would be an SVS. See here: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm They are not cheap, but considered by most, to be the best. I've been around one before, and it was a beast!

You'll only need HDMI on the receiver, if you have more than one source that uses HDMI. It makes it easier to switch between the sources. Don't even consider digital cable's HDMI boxes. They don't work well. Use component cables with them.
Good luck with whatever you decide........

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Cool Ed, I bookmarked your link to the Bose slaughter, nice.

I second the upgrade to SVS, they simply cannot be beaten in their price bracket.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Hmm. Might you elaborate?
Are the speakers set to large, or small?
What frequency is the crossover at?
Have you calibrated- or used an auto setup function?

You might get better results if you substituted jbl speakers for the bose (timbre matched speakers tend to make the sound more cohesive.)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was going to say “Sure - Bose is highly overrated, but we’re talking about the surrounds, and besides they didn’t cost much.” But then I Googled the 161’s and found they’re nothing but a pair of 2-1/2” speakers! http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif. That’s probably contributing to the problem, as I imagine your back speakers sound like a clock radio. I agree with Jeremy, trade in the Bose for something like the JBL E20.

You might want to re-think the sub as sell. Basically, an 8” sub is never going to cut in a home theater. Trade the Mirage for SVS PB10-NSD and you’ll never look back. Nice thing is, with a little equalizing to tame the ultra-lows, it’s an awesome music sub, too.

So – for another $250 or so you’ll have a rockin’ system.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

bgsitizen

Auditioning
Real Name
stefan
Tghanks all of you for the replies!

I've set the speakers to Samll and 80hz and they sond fine now. The problem is I dont know how to tune the sub...

I do know that the BOSE are overrated but I like the estetics of them and they dont sound that bad. I would follow you advices and return them but I already mount it them on the walls :frowning:

I found my reciever on line for $350 from here: http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/...px?sku=AVR1907 (is this a good place to buy from?) so if I return the BB one I'll get $200 more so I can get the Mirage S12 and be done with it. I know some would desagree but I love the way my S8 looks like.

Do you think I'm going the right direction?

Also any opinions on the JBL's for $200, did I get a good deal?

Thanks!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I still think you should go with SVS, better bang for buck and lower extension. And if you don't like the SVS you can return it within 60 days.

bgsitizen

Auditioning
Real Name
stefan

Is the SVS going to be loud?

I know this sounds stupid but I like to enjoy my Drum&Base collection at very high volumes. The S8 sounds great at low volumes but lacks high output.

What is a loud sub?

Do you think a pair of H100's would do the job?

Thanks!

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
It sounds like you are basing your decisions on the way equipment looks instead of the way it performs.

Listen to the guys here. They know what they are talking about. Dump the Bose and get two ways for the rear. Definately get an SVS as it will kick your A$$. Do a search on SVS and you will have your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks