What's new

Multi Room Speaker Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Chris Ryan

Agent
Hi:
I have an Onkyo TX-DS 939 powering 6 Def Tech. inwalls with 3 Niles Audio Intellipads. The Onkyo has a 6-ohm load minimum. My problem is, one set of speakers is connected to the center channel & one set is connected to the L & R surrounds. Well, the sound isn't the same from the center and surrounds. The only way you can fix it is to hook up three speakers each to the left & right channels, therefore bridging the Onkyo down to 2 ohms on two channels. That won't work. The only other thing I could think of is to buy an infrared speaker selector or an amp. An amp is too expensive.
Any other ideas?
Chris

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
not enough info ,-am a little confused, please list all speakers where they are/ what they're hooked to etc....

Chris Ryan

Agent
Hi:
Everything is working fine. The problem is, the center and rear surround channels do not play the same info. as the left and right channels. So, the speakers that are hooked up to the center and surround channels sound weird. What I need/want to do is hook up three speakers (8-ohm) to the left channel and three speakers to the right channel. This would solve the problem. However, doing so would bridge the Onkyo to 2-ohms on the left and right channels. This would cause it to go into protect mode. The solutions I can figure out are: a remote controlled speaker selector (about $500) or a 2 channel amp that can handle a two-ohm load (presumably too expensive)
Chris

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Adcom, as well as others, make speakers selectors that have built in amp protection. They prevent the amp from seeing a low impedance when multiple speakers are playing at once.
If you hooked the Adcom speaker selector to the L/R of the Onkyo, and then all three pairs to the Adcom, and then leave the Adcom switched to have all three pairs 'on', you could still probably use the Niles to control everything.
You asked for ideas. I'm not sure this is a good one. But you can find the selectors on eBay pretty cheap.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Need a better explanation of your problem.
Do you:
Have a 5.1 receiver in which you have hooked up inwalls to surrounds, center and sub and expect to get full range stereo from each set of speakers? Not likely to happen.
Do you:
Have a stereo receiver with A,B and C speaker outputs that result in mismatch levels for each stereo set? If so a wall mounted vol pot would fix it. But I don't think that's what you mean.
Do you:
Have a 2 channel amp that you are trying to hook up 3 sets of stereo speakers? If so, you need either a impedence correcting speaker selector, or a wall mounted vol pot with this provision. Your Niles pads are too "intelligent" if they can't do this.
Do you:
Have some other arrangement that I haven't covered?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks