What's new

Multi-channel music & Movies? Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Anybody else have a 5.1 surround sound music setup that also has 7.1 movie setup. How do you place your speakers? I have 2 x Sinclair Audio SA285's in the front on either side of my entertainment centre. The left one is about 2 ft from the side wall & 1 ft from the back wall, toed in slightly (approx. 20°) My right speaker is just to the side of where a doorway leads into the rest of the basement, with about 4.5' from the sidewall. My centre (Athena AS-C1 is on top of my 46" Sony widescreen. I have 2 Athena AS-B1's on my sidewalls upside down with the tweeters down instead of up. (just over 6' to the tweeter). Then I have another set of Sinclair Audios SA285's currently in the back corners pointed towards my sweetspot. This semms to be really good with the multi-channel, but not so good in the 7.1 setup with them as rear backs. This is where I need the help. With my Yamaha RX-V2400 I can switch which speakers are my surrounds in digital & in Multichannel. So when I am watching a movie the back Sinclairs are my back surrounds, but when I am listening to DVD-a's then my side surrounds are off and my Sinclairs are my side surrounds. Confusing? Last night I switched my backs in the corners to be about 4' apart pointing straight into the room. I thought I noticed a definite improvement in the sound but possibly more localizable as well. Any hints suggestions or somebody else with the same dilemma would be appreciated. My wife thinks i'm crazy to be moving speakers around depending on whether I am listening to music or watching movies & it is a pain as the speakers are about 55 lbs.

Thanks.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
While I realize multi-channel music and movies have different recommendations for speaker placement, I generally set the room up for theater as it is easier in my situation. But, I also prefer 2 channel most of the time vs. multi-channel and like ambient vs. aggressive multi-channel mixes. So by my tastes it probably is not as important to someone who likes more aggressive surround mixes.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have mine set up in the ITU configuration for MCH audio and it works quite well for both movies and music (though I have to admit the music is much more important to me and I only have 5.1) If I were to move to a 7.1 system, I would place the other two speakers along the back between the current surround left and right speakers, preserving the ITU configuration for music.

That's originally how I had it Paul when i first got got my 7.1 amp, with my towers in the corners & my bookshelves in between them. It just didn't sound that great. Once I moved my bookshelves to the sides & up higher, it really sounded good.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ditto, except that I used to have a 7.1 setup, but after reconfiguring the 5.1 to the ITU specs, I found that I preferred it for everything. Imaging across the rears was excellent, and I found I had no need for 7.1. When I upgraded my speakers, I went with a 5.1 array.

Every room is different, so your results may well differ. I must say, it's nice not to have to think about - or pay for - an extra two channels worth of speakers and amplification.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I also use monopoles all around. Moreover, I have NO plans to move to a 7.1 setup in my current room (and that should remain true for at least a decade--we've no plans to move and the room is too small for a 7.1 setup). In fact, I'd rather stay at 5.1 and upgrade to better speakers later (much later--I like my Boston VR-Ms) without the hassle of accommodating two extra channels/speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks