Multi-region players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Tuck, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Jan 16, 2002
    Bryan Tuck
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find good multi-region DVD players, and how much they usually cost. I've heard that some of the lower-end Apex players will play all regions, but what are some of the others out there?

Also, where is a good place to get R2, R3, & R4 imports in the States, and what do they normally cost?

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
  2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dec 4, 1999
    OK, do you want a good player, or do you want a cheap player [​IMG]
    A cheap one that you can download a crack file for will run around $100, but it's not a good player
    A GOOD player like that JVC (forget model #) or the Malata N996 runs $250-300, but opens the entire world to you with high quality conversion chips and hardware.
    Virtually no store sells non-anime/ Hong Kong import DVDs in the US. The best and cheapest places
    Japanese (R2)
    Hong Kong (R3)
    UK (R2)
    (There isa better one, but I don't buy much from the UK)
    Australia (R4)
  3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Feb 7, 2001
    A good interlaced player that excels at playing RCE discs and PAL>NTSC conversion is the Daewoo DVD-5700. You can get it for $99 at Sam's Club. I've had it for a week now and it IS a good player. See my review of it here:
    BTW, it doesn't require a firmware hack to become region-free, just a few keystrokes of the remote.
    Also, for R4 discs, these guys are great.