What's new

multi-criteria tournament (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I've been charged with OAR violation. This charge carries a maximum sentence of being abused by Rain.
I think they threw the book at me.
:D

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I wanted images that would complement the basic proportions of the signature space rectangle. If I used the original captures without modification, in order to accomodate the height restrictions they'd be very narrow, lose detail, and wouldn't have the same impact. Here's the unaltered shots.
[c]http://www.geocities.com/holiday_photos/signatures/misc/narc1_big.txt http://www.geocities.com/holiday_photos/signatures/misc/narc2_big.txt[/c]
I think you'll agree that I retained the essence of each shot. Though that's no excuse for defiling a work of art, to which each frame of this film is testament, and I will henceforth brand the signature with a warning and formal apology.
I think I need to cut down on the caffeine.
:D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You feel uncomfortable watching The Apartment, but not Lawrence of Arabia (during the rape scene), or Taxi Driver (during the violence) or Full Metal Jacket (more violence) or Midnight Cowboy (his first experience being forced into prostitution) or Night of the Hunter (with children threatened by a maniacal murderer)? These don't make you feel uncomfortable?

Hey to each his own, but I feel very uncomfortable watching many of your favorite movies, and have never felt the least bit uncomfortable watching The Apartment.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, George, I felt uncomfortable during each one of those sequences that you mention above! Makes sense, doesn't it?
Even Paul, who really likes the movie, admits to a certain amount of "uncomfortableness" (is that a word?) while watching The Apartment. You don't. Interesting. Do you find it to be a pure comedy/love story?
The point that I was making was that I felt "simply uncomfortable" during scenes that I was probably suppose to be laughing at (as mentioned above, when the men are all freely discussing their extra-marital affairs without guilt, shame etc). I felt uncomfortable, but I don't think I was suppose to, do you? (apparently not, since you say :
Hey to each his own

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The disagreement here may simply be down to how we define 'uncomfortable'. Watching The Apartment, I find the contradictory elements of drama and comedy are what give the film a specific atmosphere. The two sides of the film are very different, yet they feed off, and couldn't exist without the other. It isn't the same feeling I get when watching a Cronenberg film or Texas CXhainsaw Massacre or Taxi Driver (all different types of uncomfortability in my book), and it is very subtle, but there's a definite seriousness in the film's best comic moments that don't provide the same type of laughs that a pure comedy might.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Paul,
Not to nitpick, but that new line in your sig makes it sound like I committed the OAR violation. :p)
As to whether The Apartment makes me uncomfortable....the movie doesn't really, but the DVD transfer sure does. :D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I understand exactly what you are saying Paul.

I think the point here, though, was that I felt uncomfortable (however you want to define that term) at parts of the movie where I didn't believe I was suppose to feel uncomfortable.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Rob Tomlin said:
Please explain to me how/why listening to grown married men, with children, openly talk about their extra-marital affair without any hint of guilt or remorse or shame is the slightest bit humorous?
Cause you've got this big grin on your face, knowing that down the road the bastards will get theirs. :)
Seriously though, I count myself as one of the few who don't get the magic of The Apartment. It's charming, and I do find the premise believable, but in the end, it was only a good experience (as opposed to some life-altering "I MUST GET THIS ON DVD!!!" experience).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Rob, I don't want to beat this into the ground, but I guess we're probably having different ideas of uncomfortable. I can watch something that is sad, or bad, or horrifying, and it doesn't necessarily make me uncomfortable. For example, while there are a lot of emotions brought to bear from her suicide attempt, 'uncomfortableness' in the sense of wanting to look away is not one of them. On the other hand, the graphic drug overdose in Pulp Fiction does make me uncomfortable. I guess the difference there is one of graphicness.

But as a general rule, uncomfortableness isn't a major factor in my feelings towards a movie. Rewatchability is the bottom line for me.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Apartment takes the serious vote, while Raiders gets the other three.
Next,
The Bridge on the River Kwai vs. Modern Times

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Abstain (no Modern Times)
Re: The Apartment discussion, I think Wilder's point, and the point of all black comedies, is to make you laugh during what are otherwise painful situations. The Apartment is doing the same thing that a movie like American Beauty is. Levity and tragedy have long had a relationship in movies. Now, whether or not you find The Apartment funny is a personal matter. But if it makes you feel uncomfortable, then Wilder has done his job.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Rather watch: The Bridge on the River Kwai
More serious: The Bridge on the River Kwai
Better art: Modern Times
Better film: The Bridge on the River Kwai

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Modern Times X 4

A brief note on the serious vote, I think that ‘Times’ is more successful in its examination of a changing society, than is ‘Kwai’ in its themes.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Rather watch: The Bridge on the River Kwai
More serious: The Bridge on the River Kwai
Better art: Modern Times
Better film: The Bridge on the River Kwai

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
But if it makes you feel uncomfortable, then Wilder has done his job.
Agreed. But, I think we are suppose to feel uncomfortable only at certain points in the movie, and "levity" at others. I never saw the "levity" working.
I think Billy Wilder is a great director. Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity are two of my favorite movies of all time. But, The Apartment just didn't work as well, for me, as the these great movies.
Must abstain on the current round (it goes without saying how much I love Bridge though)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks