What's new

Multi channel interconnects. (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I need a 9' run of 5 cables for connection to my amp from the pre/pro. I was all set to go Blue Jeans, but I had a friend who just bought some and I went over to see them. He hadn't put them in yet so we did and they barely gripped the jacks on the component. We tried plugging them into another component and the same thing. They were almost "touch it falls off" loose. So I am kinda worried about that.
I would like to keep it under a $100.00. I have thought about getting a component vid cable and then an audio cable as that is usually cheaper, but I don't know if there is any drawbacks to using component vid for that application. I am thinking there isn't.

Any suggestions?

KurtBJC

Agent
One note on that...

The Canare RCA plugs are really pretty grippy. We have found that most of the reports of them being too loose turn out to involve people not quite getting them on all the way. It seems that people sometimes mistake the initial resistance of the spring contacts during push-on as indicating that the plug is all the way on, when it's actually just starting to engage. If these are on all the way, the front edge of the outer contact should be flush, or nearly flush, with the rear panel of your equipment.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Bad idea.

For a 5 channel audio system, you DONT want to risk that the component cable is made with 75 ohm coax, and the audio cables made with 50 ohm. (No, you cannot tell by looking at the cables).

Get 2 identical sets of component cables and use 5 of the six wires. But I have to warn you: my favorite "retail" component cable would run you about $39 a set or $78+tax for a 6 ft run. The BlueJeans offering is about $70-$74.

Work with your friends cables a bit to decide. Those cables are usually quite good.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I used to use a set of 5 Blue Jeans cables back when I had separates, they were very tight, but not too tight like the Radio Shack Golds. I would give them another look. You really have to push them on strong. I was very happy with the Blue Jeans cables, they were top quality for a very low price.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys for the help.
I'll probably give the BJ cables a try.

Kurt, should I ask for you when I order?

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
At work, we have some commercial cables that are used for distribution, and they use the Canare connectors like Blue Jeans use (maybe they were from Blue Jeans!!!) - without doubt the best quality connectors I have seen. Not this kiddie carp like Monster uses.

I even whipped a co-worker with them and they held up just fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks