MP3 Streaming Devices: What are my options?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin T, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'm thinking of scrapping/parting out my htpc which is pretty much overkill for what i need. all i need is a digital jukebox for random mp3 playback. i can take out the 160GB hd loaded in my htpc and put it in my main pc. i can stream the audio to a device in my living room/theater room over an ethernet connection. my question is, what devices are there out there? i've seen the roku soundbridge, but i'd prefer a component style device. you know, something that actually looks like a piece of stereo equipment rather than some chinchy piece of techno-gear. so what all is out there. i've looked around, but haven't found much. thanks.

kevin t

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The two big ones at the moment are the SoundBridge and the Squeeze box..both of which are not component styled. Roku's photobridge or D-Links 320 will do MP3's and are your typical component style but their forte isn't music its video.

I've got a soundbridge installed in my livingroom where it supplies music to my second zone and for that its working perfectly. I might put another in the theater but if I'm going to seriously listen to music in there I'd prefer to use the full bit rate CD/DVD-A or SACD etc.

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I use my Tivo. Works great.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    D-Link MediaLounge streams audio and high def video from your PC to your TV. There are a lot of others but this is the only one that I've seen that looks like standard audio/video hardware.

-Robert

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

An Audiotron would work as well but they aren't made anymore so you'd have to find a used one.

6. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

I do this wirelessly through Apple's Airport Express and iTunes - both will work with Macs and PCs.

7. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

thanks, all. i ended up going with a squeezebox3. it does the trick pretty well and when not in use, it looks like a regular digital alarm clock.

kevin t