What's new

MP3 Streaming Devices: What are my options? (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm thinking of scrapping/parting out my htpc which is pretty much overkill for what i need. all i need is a digital jukebox for random mp3 playback. i can take out the 160GB hd loaded in my htpc and put it in my main pc. i can stream the audio to a device in my living room/theater room over an ethernet connection. my question is, what devices are there out there? i've seen the roku soundbridge, but i'd prefer a component style device. you know, something that actually looks like a piece of stereo equipment rather than some chinchy piece of techno-gear. so what all is out there. i've looked around, but haven't found much. thanks.

kevin t

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The two big ones at the moment are the SoundBridge and the Squeeze box..both of which are not component styled. Roku's photobridge or D-Links 320 will do MP3's and are your typical component style but their forte isn't music its video.

I've got a soundbridge installed in my livingroom where it supplies music to my second zone and for that its working perfectly. I might put another in the theater but if I'm going to seriously listen to music in there I'd prefer to use the full bit rate CD/DVD-A or SACD etc.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
D-Link MediaLounge streams audio and high def video from your PC to your TV. There are a lot of others but this is the only one that I've seen that looks like standard audio/video hardware.

-Robert

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
An Audiotron would work as well but they aren't made anymore so you'd have to find a used one.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I do this wirelessly through Apple's Airport Express and iTunes - both will work with Macs and PCs.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
thanks, all. i ended up going with a squeezebox3. it does the trick pretty well and when not in use, it looks like a regular digital alarm clock.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks