What's new

Moving 56H80 up stairs (1 Viewer)

Rob Scott

Grip
I am considering buying a Toshiba 56H80 but before I proceed I want to make sure I will be able to get it into my home theater room.
The room is up a flight of stairs with a 90-degree turn right at the bottom. It's a bit on the narrow side, but I don't have measurement with me right now.
Does anyone know how it is shipped? In one piece? Can it be separated into two for easier moving?
Thanks!
------------------
Rob Scott

Rob Scott

Grip
Andrew wrote: I have a similar situation...
Yow! Thanks for the warning! Before I even consider buying it perhaps I'll "mock it up" with a cardboard box. It's pretty much a rectangle, right? Is there anything sticking out in the back?
Thanks again.
------------------
Rob Scott

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Well, the top of the TV is narrower than the bottom, but the dimensions you'll find are for the widest part of the TV.
Again, I'll say that the 56" maybe could have fit, but the delivery people refused to try, and it was too heavy to try just between my wife and me.
------------------

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Rob,
Here's info on a mockup .
Just FYI. There's also a thread (not sure if it is here or at a diff forum) of 56/65h80 that was cut in two on-site by Tosh-Canada and reassembled in the media room. TV works fine afterwards apparently w/ no ill-effects from the surgery.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

Rob Scott

Grip
Thanks, errol! If I had enough time on my hands, I would probably do that.
Last night I tried "mocking up" the size of the TV using a few pieces of PVC pipe measured to the correct dimensions. Looks like the 56H80 won't fit. Bummer.
I suspect the new 50H81 would probably fit; I found the dimensions online and will check it out this evening.
------------------
Rob Scott
[Edited last by Rob Scott on July 12, 2001 at 08:51 AM]

Rob Scott

Grip
Brett, thanks for the link. I had tried downloading that from the Toshiba site previously, but it kept giving me some kind of strange error and just displayed black squares.
It appears the 56H80 is out of the question. Do you know if there is a similar document for the 50H81 or is it too new?
Thanks again!
------------------
Rob Scott
[Edited last by Rob Scott on July 12, 2001 at 02:54 PM]

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Last night I tried "mocking up" the size of the TV using a few pieces of PVC pipe measured to the correct dimensions. Looks like the 56H80 won't fit. Bummer.
Oh, come on! Don't tell me you're going to let a little thing like a wall get in your way? Pull out your hammer and tear the thing down!! This is HT we're talking about, Rob! Not a bed, not a curio cabinet, HOME THEATER! Tear a hole in your roof and lower that bad boy in with a crane if you have to! You can't sacrifice the size of the TV over some minor detail like this! How can you ever achieve HT NutHood if you bow to a large, imposing, semi-permanent structure?
biggrin.gif

------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,
While not as detailed as my previous link, Toshiba does have the Link Removed online. On page 50 it has the dimensions. I'm sure it will suffice for a mockup.
I have not found an installation guide for the XXH81 series yet.
Hope this helps.
-Brett
------------------
Link Removed
My DVD's

Andy_S

Second Unit
I have this exact problem. I'll build a mock-up of the Tosh to see if it will fit. My other option is to buy a Mitsubishi Diamond or Platinum Plus. They split in half!
------------------
Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!
[Edited last by Andy_S on July 13, 2001 at 05:26 PM]

Rob Scott

Grip
Don't tell me you're going to let a little thing like a wall get in your way?
LOL! :)
Ya know, I was chuckling and read this to my wife and she said, "Maybe he's right." (My wife is great!) So I think I really will check and see if that wall is load-bearing or not. And if it ain't ... well, it just might get torn out.
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Rob Scott

KeithR

Second Unit
Just get a front projector instead :) they will fit in one hand...and a 100" diagonal to boot!

Rob Scott

Grip
Just get a front projector instead ...
I thought about that, but I decided against it for several reasons. Thanks!
BTW, I "mocked up" the 56H80 a bit more accurately and it appears that it will make it around the corner just fine.
So ... I'm thinking seriously about getting it from xtremeshopper.com who has it for $2,150 / shipping $300. Is this a good idea or is there a good reason to avoid buying it online (or from this retailer)?
------------------
Rob Scott

Jason_H

Second Unit
I had to deal with a similar situation, I live in a frickin' apartment on the 2nd floor. My Toshiba 56H80 was left on the curb as expected by the delivery service (ordered from Onecall).
It took three large friends and myself nearly an hour to get it up the stairs. We left it in the box and very carefully turned it on it's side. Two guys stood on top and pulled the straps on the box while the other two of us put our entire bodies underneath and pushed with our backs. We'd push it up a step...rest for a minute...push it up a step, etc. I was just darn lucky that there was BARELY enough clearance to make the turn from the stairs to my doorway without lifting it over the railing. That could have been a disaster. But all in the all the TV works perfectly, there were no ill effects from the move.
So for anyone trying to do this, just make sure you have a lot of friends on hand with a good sense of humor. Otherwise it would have been impossible!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks