What's new

Movies that would face backlash in today's society (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
warning: bad language

I think Quentin's response to those that found the Bruce Lee scene in OUATIH to be somewhat disrespectful was downright mean.
He could paint Doris Day as a hateful hag in one of his films, it doesn't mean the audience is going to like it. Even going under the 'it's just a movie, it is all make believe' umbrella he is still characterizing someone real that he never met.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Articles like this only want to fabricate a stink over nothing. The only one I see with any validity is Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's, but people have had problems with that role for decades. I guess Manhattan could be included, because a few years ago I decided to watch it, and turned it off due to exactly what the article discussed. However, that has a lot less to do with changing times than what has been learned about Woody Allen.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

I mean, seriously, have they never seen an Ari Aster movie?

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Articles like this only want to fabricate a stink over nothing. The only one I see with any validity is Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's, but people have had problems with that role for decades. I guess Manhattan could be included, because a few years ago I decided to watch it, and turned it off due to exactly what the article discussed. However, that has a lot less to do with changing times than what has been learned about Woody Allen.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

I mean, seriously, have they never seen an Ari Aster movie?

Well, I think that it should be nothing. To us it is nothing, meaningless. Not sure on the whole it is nothing. I think some of it is true. The idea that if you took any of many old scripts and walked into a company today to make them that they would say "Nope, not making that."

Less for what is offensive or not socially acceptable that is in it but because they don't want to be a part of selling something that will cause a stir because it is offensive to someone or really, some group. That may embroil them in something they don't wish to be associated with.

So, to that degree, I don't think it is nothing. Woody Allen has been pushed aside and his newer films nobody wants to show and they just step around his older films.

Mickey Rooney was not out to make Asian people look bad, he was doing schtick, a bit, trying to make people see him rather than the character. I am not a fan of the film really, but not because of Mickey Rooney. I don't think people should view films from the past through today's ideas...but we can't stop them from doing so.

I've had the discussions with people in person and some just put their foot down and say, "It is bad now, it was bad then. There is no difference." and yes, that's an attitude that goes around the truth and history. I try to say, "Well, yes, I understand it is bad to you in light of how we see things today." but some people do not like that kind of compromise.

I don't recall anything in Ari Aster's pictures that was offensive...maybe his approach to filmmaking and the material in parts, but not the actual content of the films.

It's funny there was a scene in Tar that I really liked. It was where she was teaching a class and one of the students said he could not play Bach because of who Bach was. It's the best scene in the entire film. Here it is:

Now, as I was watching this (I've just seen the film this one time) I was thinking, "Great scene!" and I was at this moment in the film pulled into the Tar character. I thought she was correct to obliterate the student for that student's ridiculous dismissal of Bach's music. Not because I enjoy Bach's music but because it is a truly destructive position the student holds.

Later in the film the scene comes up again because someone filmed it and she is fired and cancelled for that behavior. I've not heard Cate nor Todd talk about that scene but in the way things go for Tar in the picture, I wondered if that scene is supposed to paint her as a monster or were they pointing out the issues we are having a discussion about right here?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think Quentin's response to those that found the Bruce Lee scene in OUATIH to be somewhat disrespectful was downright mean.
He could paint Doris Day as a hateful hag in one of his films, it doesn't mean the audience is going to like it. Even going under the 'it's just a movie, it is all make believe' umbrella he is still characterizing someone real that he never met.

Quentin does self censor his pictures. Do you know what item he never puts in his films because of the "they" he rails against in that video?

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
There's not enough threads to contain all of the titles. "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson!".

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Amazingly, Blazing Saddles was not present in the article. It is perhaps too obscure, but another surprise was the absence of 1995's Kids from Larry Clark.

- Walter.
The article has, to me, indicators of being AI / ChatGPT / LLM generated. It reads like machine-generated content for that linkbait no-nothing site. Not surprising then it would be missing references an expert writer would discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks