What's new

Movies that would face backlash in today's society (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
(Without getting into current/recent politics).

In some circles: Idiocracy.
This thread is being closely monitored. Please, don't get into the weeds with political references including using a current four-letter word that is meant to be an insult towards one end of the political spectrum. We're not having that discussion here!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The fact controversy magnets like 1988's Mississippi Burning failed to make the list is interesting. Aside from that, my take would be, as long as investors and studios are willing to take the risk, who cares about backlash? Filmmakers know who they're targeting with certain material and probably expect contention from those outside of these markets.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
This is silly. If you enjoyed the films originally you will still enjoy them now. The only difference is you have all this yack to put aside in order to focus on the entertainment they were intended to deliver.
I mean...Big, Aladdin, Dumbo, Indiana Jones...these are classics and no culture guru will ever change that reality.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Without getting into current/recent politics).

In some circles: Idiocracy.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I agree most of these classic movies would never have been made now. The bottom line is that many people these days are too damn sensitive. I especially hate it when a film/TV series is modified/edited because something is deemed "too offensive" to someone. Get over yourselves. Pathetic.

If you don't like a film/TV series you have two clear & easy choices:

1) Either stop watching it;
2) Or don't watch it to begin with. Simple!

But, obviously that's obviously too difficult for some people to comprehend. Idiots.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
With regards to the linked article:

The overall thrust of the article is valid in terms of contemporary cultural norms and I find myself agreeing with some of the criticisms and thinking that some are a bit of a stretch, particularly some of the comedic films where boundaries are being pushed in the name of satire. Having said that, I do think that works (regardless of media) should not be censored or modified and need to be viewed within the historical context of when they were made. (I will refrain from listing instances as I don't really feel like going there.)

Amazingly, Blazing Saddles was not present in the article. It is perhaps too obscure, but another surprise was the absence of 1995's Kids from Larry Clark.

- Walter.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Agree 100% with @Walter Kittel.

Films are products of their time and should not be edited (for perceived offending content) or hidden from view (like Song of the South), as long as it’s acknowledged that such content is or could be considered problematic (for unsuspecting audiences).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Revenge of the Nerds definitely hasn't aged well.

The Indiana Jones movies are complicated, because they're not that old but they're an homage to early twentieth century serials that trafficked in a lot of racist tropes. The cultural insensitivities in Temple of Doom all feel somewhat secondhand.

Others are uniquely products of their time: Controversial content aside, Hollywood just doesn't make movies like Gone With the Wind and Breakfast at Tiffany's any more. Likewise with the "What Made The Red Man Red" musical number from the animated Peter Pan.

Manhattan is problem because of how it parallels the real world allegations against Woody Allen.

Tropic Thunder is controversial now and was controversial at the time because of the use of blackface, but the blackface is being used to make fun of Hollywood in this movie, not to promote minstrel stereotypes.

Most of the other movies would be fine today, with only a couple of small changes. While a number of John Hughes films have elements that haven't aged well, they're usually not crucial to the main story.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
IMO, people bemoaning current media isn’t provocative enough or viewers are too sensitive for challenging content simply aren’t paying attention / aware of what’s out.

Just what I’ve watched in recent years that presses and challenges, some with much vulgarity, violence, or sexual innuendo. And I’m not anywhere current on movies, but I’m sure there’s plenty there too.

South Park
Bojack Horseman
Hannah Gasby’s Nannette
The Boys
Our Flag Means Death
The Magicians

Attitudes and transgressive boundaries have changed. “Profanity” as in the literally profane is far less offensive but other curse words have risen up in importance.

I take such moral “concerns” and handwringing over the supposed death of provocative entertainment with a big dose of “meh”.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just what I’ve watched in recent years that presses and challenges, some with much vulgarity, violence, or sexual innuendo. And I’m not anywhere current on movies, but I’m sure there’s plenty there too.

South Park
Bojack Horseman
Hannah Gasby’s Nannette
The Boys
Our Flag Means Death
The Magicians

Add Bullet Train to that list-- that has a good deal of language and violence.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I guess the aspect of this that it all boils down to for me is, at some moment we got to a point where offending people is considered bad and off limits. The thing is as human beings we have reactions to things, it is part of being human. Some things make us laugh, some make us cry, some make us scared, some make us angry, some make us feel joy, some make us take offense. These are all natural reactions and part of being human. You are supposed to feel these things, if you didn't it means you are not functioning properly as a human being.

Nobody cares if something makes you happy or sad or angry or scared when it comes to entertainment. However, the thing it seems we are no longer allowed to make someone else feel is offended. If you go there, then there is some major problem.

There is of course the problem of different things make people laugh, feel scared, feel sad, and feel offended. It is not the same things for each person. So, why can you do things in entertainment to touch off the other feelings but you can no longer do something to trigger being offended in someone? You really don't know you are going to offend someone, unless perhaps you know them well, until it happens. A person that knows you can avoid offending you if they know what offends you, but a random entertainer who has never met you does not know they are offending you until you say you were offended.

It hit comedy first, as part of comedy for most of history was offending you to make you laugh. Being intentionally offensive was one of the tricks in the comedy bag you could pull out.

Somehow, it became kind of a shield for people to hold up to say "That offends me." and it became taboo to offend people.

Now let's be clear, there are some guidelines here. In entertainment, offending people should be one of the things that you are allowed to do, just like making you laugh or feel fear. Nothing wrong with it at all. Plus, in entertainment your personal offense to something does not matter and the fact that people KNOW this thing offends some people is part of what makes it funny, or whatever else it makes you FEEL, because that is what entertainment is meant to do...to make you feel something.

However, in real life, at work, at the supermarket, at the doctor's office, at your kid's baseball game, at dinner with the relatives, whatever, your personal goal should not be to try to offend people. I mean, in these cases, have some class and try not to do that. These are not situations where people are going to be entertained. Use some common sense, please.

Also, there is a huge difference between being offensive in a movie, comedy club, any piece of art or entertainment than there is being offensive in real life. This should be recognized. I mean, I would think people would understand there is a difference between going up to some random person in church and telling them a blow job joke than there is telling one on stage in a club. I mean unless you worship at the Temple of the Divine Erection.

Also there is a huge difference in offending as part of entertainment and just offending people to be intentionally cruel and mean spirited and hateful. Sometimes I wonder if people understand this. Don't do that. Don't try to be cruel and hateful to others. That kind of offensive is off limits and should not be tolerated. So, if you do that, that should be called out and there does need to be a lesson learned from it.

Understand the degrees though and take intent into account. A person making a joke, in any circumstance, and trying for a laugh is not the same as a person making intentionally hurtful comments to upset and offend a person or persons.

There's nothing wrong with being offended, it is part of being human. It is not some awful thing to feel offense to something, it is normal. You have not been harmed in any way if some piece of entertainment offends you. If someone intentionally tries to harm and hurt you through being offensive toward you...that is a different matter.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Some folks will have a hard time watching Myra Breckenridge with its story about sex change. I would watch that and Skidoo as a double feature about Hollywood in the late 1960's.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The problem is the inability of many people to transport themselves into the era when a film was made. At the time Eddie Cantors black face was considered wholesome good natured ribbing. Today the musical number with this feature in each of his movies has to be skipped.

Mae West was on the side of black people. To this end, she tried to use as many black actors and musicians in her films as she could. However, this often surfaced as a laughing "Bula" who, although she appeared to be a friend, was a stereotypical maid. Again these disturbs modern audiences who know little of the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks