What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There's also the matter of concessions. Popcorn and fountain drinks won't fly anymore - they'll need something pre-packaged, which will further eat into profits.
Why would popcorn and fountain drinks be a problem? How is that any different than eating at a restaurant?

Here in Indiana, they just announced our theaters can reopen on May 24th at 50% capacity. Again, I don't expect anyone to do it until at least late June, but they will be allowed.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Why would popcorn and fountain drinks be a problem? How is that any different than eating at a restaurant?

Here in Indiana, they just announced our theaters can reopen on May 24th at 50% capacity. Again, I don't expect anyone to do it until at least late June, but they will be allowed.
Probably because I expect masks to be a requirement.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Since all - or at least the vast majority - of AMCs have self-serve fountains, that could be complicated.

Maybe they'll put wipes next to the Coke Freestyle machines!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Since all - or at least the vast majority - of AMCs have self-serve fountains, that could be complicated.

Maybe they'll put wipes next to the Coke Freestyle machines!
Well, the self-serve fountains are currently still running at the gas stations and convenience stores. I don't know why it would be different in a movie theater than a gas station?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's too exposed. I also expect salad bars and buffets to be things of the past.
Popcorn is too exposed? To me, the way popcorn is handled and sold is identical to the way french fries are handled at any McDonald's, Burger King, etc. The popcorn/fries are scooped into a cardboard container. I just don't understand this idea that movie theaters couldn't serve popcorn as safely as McDonald's does french fries.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There's also the matter of concessions. Popcorn and fountain drinks won't fly anymore - they'll need something pre-packaged, which will further eat into profits.
After paying attention to them refilling my popcorn tub just a week before local lock down I don't know that I'll ever purchase theater popcorn here again. Years ago they had scoops in the popcorn machine and used that to (re)fill bags/cups/tubs. The person this time took my tub and stuck it into the machine to fill it as quickly as possible. That means my greasy finger handling and whatever I may have done to the outside of that bucket came into contact with the popcorn in the bin/machine! That should trigger a critical health violation as it's absolutely cross-contamination of product. I meant to call the manager and complain but forgot... maybe I'll remember once they reopen.

If a fountain drink is (re)filled properly the lip and contents should never come into contact with any part of the machine that could be subject to cross contamination.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Popcorn is too exposed? To me, the way popcorn is handled and sold is identical to the way french fries are handled at any McDonald's, Burger King, etc. The popcorn/fries are scooped into a cardboard container. I just don't understand this idea that movie theaters couldn't serve popcorn as safely as McDonald's does french fries.
At the Regal near me, I can't even see the popcorn machine. They just push the bags or tubs under heat lamps from behind where the machine presumably is. Needless to say, that must vary from vary theater to theater.

After paying attention to them refilling my popcorn tub just a week before local lock down I don't know that I'll ever purchase theater popcorn here again. Years ago they had scoops in the popcorn machine and used that to (re)fill bags/cups/tubs. The person this time took my tub and stuck it into the machine to fill it as quickly as possible. That means my greasy finger handling and whatever I may have done to the outside of that bucket came into contact with the popcorn in the bin/machine! That should trigger a critical health violation as it's absolutely cross-contamination of product. I meant to call the manager and complain but forgot... maybe I'll remember once they reopen.
Back in (I think) late February, I went to an AMC with a friend and they got popcorn. When they went back for a refill, they were given a new bucket instead of refilling their current tub (which they tossed) so I assume that's what they will have to do when they reopen too.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, the self-serve fountains are currently still running at the gas stations and convenience stores. I don't know why it would be different in a movie theater than a gas station?

I've heard that convenience stores like Sheetz and Wawa shut down their self-serve fountains.

I've not actually been inside anyplace with a self-serve fountain in almost 2 months, so I've not seen examples for myself, but a friend told me she saw the deactivated fountain at Wawa...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'll miss the breakfast buffet at Golden Corral if they don't return or offer the buffet option anymore.

The solution to the germ problem for popcorn and fountain drinks at movie theater is simple: if you're worried about the germs/virii, just don't buy the product. Buy bottled water there, sneak in some Mio flavor drops, and you're good. Skip the popcorn. But for those not as worried, let them decide if it's worth the risk. I'll be eating the popcorn offered by the theaters, and buying the fountain drink option if offered. If the theater wants to use new popcorn tubs for the refills, well that's on them and their bottom line, won't bother me either way. New York's new batch of infected is showing that the virus is getting passed around by the people in close quarters via sneezing, etc, not because the virus was picked up from some counter surface, etc. If you're in good health, be vigilant in staying clean (washing hands, etc) going to the theater should not present major complications, just get back to living, people.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll miss the breakfast buffet at Golden Corral if they don't return or offer the buffet option anymore.

The solution to the germ problem for popcorn and fountain drinks at movie theater is simple: if you're worried about the germs/virii, just don't buy the product. Buy bottled water there, sneak in some Mio flavor drops, and you're good. Skip the popcorn. But for those not as worried, let them decide if it's worth the risk. I'll be eating the popcorn offered by the theaters, and buying the fountain drink option if offered. If the theater wants to use new popcorn tubs for the refills, well that's on them and their bottom line, won't bother me either way. New York's new batch of infected is showing that the virus is getting passed around by the people in close quarters via sneezing, etc, not because the virus was picked up from some counter surface, etc. If you're in good health, be vigilant in staying clean (washing hands, etc) going to the theater should not present major complications, just get back to living, people.
If you think people sneezing or coughing in a movie theater, especially, those with stadium style seating doesn't spread this virus then you're kidding yourself.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't buy the popcorn for me. If I go it's to take my grandson to a movie we both want to see and grandma buys him the "deluxe" popcorn/drink which gets free refills. She doesn't like the theater at all but loves theater popcorn. When any of us go we have standing orders to get a refill before we leave and smother it in butter flavored oil (not going to call that crap butter - it's not). That's why she treats him to the deluxe version if I take him. I take a few hard candies, if anything, in for "snacking" during the movie.

I'm the guy they don't like to see come. I buy my ticket and that's it.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I've heard that convenience stores like Sheetz and Wawa shut down their self-serve fountains.

I've not actually been inside anyplace with a self-serve fountain in almost 2 months, so I've not seen examples for myself, but a friend told me she saw the deactivated fountain at Wawa...
The ones near me have removed the cups. You have to go pay for the fountain drink first and they will hand you a cup to take over to the fountain and fill.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The ones near me have removed the cups. You have to go pay for the fountain drink first and they will hand you a cup to take over to the fountain and fill.

That still leaves contamination via the self-serve machine itself. Machines operated when the cup presses a lever would be safer, but most machines require the user to press a button or a screen with a finger. Those will be a germy mess!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The following message was on my local Drive In's website:

"Things are changing every day.

Several weeks ago we submitted a request to New York State to be able to open for the drive-in and hope to hear soon.

The governor's recent statements are encouraging as he mentioned drive-ins being able to open as we are considered low risk.

We will be required to follow all safety rules put in place for restaurants and of course social distancing.

We have created online ticket purchasing and online concession ordering (should we be allowed to open concession) and soon online ice cream ordering (drive-in side only).

As we have a very short season we are hoping we are allowed to open soon and hope we have your support.

Depending on the answer of our request, things may be a little different for a while but we hope to bring you some movies soon.

As soon as we receive an answer we will let you know.

Once again thank you to all of our amazing customers for their kindness and words of encouragement during this time.

We couldn't do it without you. Fingers crossed."

If they reopen soon I will probably be there once a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks