What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Movie Theatres in Ottawa? (1 Viewer)

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I just recently entered the glorious world of University, and with that, I have moved to Ottawa's Carleton University. (Mental note: Change profile) My question is about movie theatres...

Which ones are good quality? During my orientation visit in the summer I entertained Pirates of the Carribean at the AMC Kanata, but it's a bit too far away, and impossible to get to by bus. Which ones are good, and which ones should I stay away from?

P.S. I'm looking to see Underworld tonight, just for reference!

John Watson

Screenwriter
For the quality of movies, the Mayfair was a good repertory theater near Carleton.

Good double bills, foreign films, etc.

I moved from Ottawa a couple of years ago, but I hope that theater's still there.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
The best theatre in town is the Bytowne, downtown on Rideau St. and not too far for you. It's only one screen but it plays all the newest independent and foreign movies and such (think American Splendor, Swimming Pool etc). I try and go every second weekend.

The Mayfair is decent, but is now mostly just a place where movies that have already played go for their last run with a beat-up print, but they do also play some nice older stuff too (Clockwork Orange, Eraserhead, etc) once and a while.

Of the chains, the Cineplex Odeon World Exchange, also downtown and a bus ride away on Metcalfe St., is my favourite. They have about 8 screens I think that play new stuff both big/popular and smaller (Thirteen and Dirty Pretty things are playing there now) movies.

You mentioned the AMC Kanata 24, and that's were I go most often perhaps, mainly because I live really close to it. It's very nice (not noisy with arcades and fast food) but definitely too far away for you, in the suburbs.

Famous Player's Silver City is indeed the closest giant multiplex for you, but the prices are high and crowds can be pretty big, but it would be fine for ya.

Welcome to the city, I've lived hear for 8 years and really like it here. I went to school at the University of Ottawa (right downtown) and loved the experience and just graduated last year. I know Carleton has a great Film Studies program, so try and take some electives in that if you can (I wish i was there for the course on David Cronenberg alone!). Enjoy your time and the movies you see!

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I could be wrong, but I think Mark's question was about the picture/sound quality at the theaters.

The Bytowne and the Mayfair suck. They are old and have horrible seats... but hey, if you like artsy/foreign films, they're the place to go.

World Exchange is OK. Interesting mix of artsy/foreign films and Hollywood. Avoid the 4 smaller screens unless you like crappy Dolby Surround and tiny living-room sized screens.

AMC is pretty good. Sound quality is not quite up to the Famous Players multiplexes.

Silver City and Coliseum have the best sound quality and stadium seating for avoiding big heads blocking your view.

Just my two cents.

Welcome to Ottawa.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Thanks for all the replies here!

I eventually ventured to the Cinplex 12 at South Keys, cause the friend I was with was familiar with it...(and also cause I didn't want to be out too late that we'd need to take a taxi back) The sound was pretty impressive, but I'll try the Famous Players cinemas!

And just so you know, I AM majoring in Film Studies at Carleton! (Our film society showed "Battle Royale"!) My cousin's going to a technical film college and we're hoping to collaborate afterwards. I'm still keeping my options open at this point though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks