Movie theaters poised for comeback in 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Feb 16, 2001
  2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

Jan 17, 2001
    John Steffens
    Personally, I think 2002 will even be bigger for theaters.
    Harry Potter 2
    Star Wars 2
    LOTR 2
    Scary Movie 3
    Austin Powers 3
    Star Trek 10
    The list goes on and on....
  3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    2002 is indeed the year of the sequel.
  4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Nov 5, 1998
    If you go back into the Monsters, Potter, FOTR box office thread you will see that I predicted these stories starting up following these releases.

These dipshits don't even know their own product. Are any of us really surprised that all 3 films made at least $150m and made the 4th qtr into a huge movie season.

Now who thinks this is a "trend" and who thinks it's just about 3 good family/cult fan base films coming out. Each had a lead in reason for going huge, 2 were the books, the other was Toy Story 1&2 and Bugs Life. If Hannibal could do business off of SotLambs, where's the surprise with Monsters?

Then you have AOTC next spring...gee, will there be good box-office around that time??? Will it mean the theater business is "back"? Hell no.

They haven't even begun to feel the results of back-stabbing the public this summer with crap. People will only be burned so often. Eventually the "big" picture draw is going to wain unless they can earn some of it with quality.

Big pix make money now because of things like Star Wars, Raiders, etc. Those pix delivered so people learned to believe H'wood hype. The last 2-3 years have been about the hype being BS and I think the public is going to catch on.
  5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Aug 6, 2001
    Chuck Mayer
    Seth, I agree on most of those counts. Of course 2002 will be a big year. Heck, 2003 will be a big year (with The Matrix, LOTR, X-Men 2)!
    Hollywood almost always learns the wrong lesson. Look at was huge. Those fools assumed it made all those bones because it was emotional spectacle with good-looking leads, which was only the wrapping. So we got a bunch of hokey tripe to coattail it. The core of the original was well-done, with passion behind the camera. As much as studios wish the moviegoing public couldn't tell the difference, a movie feels better and resonates more if the people making it believe in it. They make us believe in it. The studios want a formula to make money. They can't do it, but they learned hype can at least turn a profit. But, (un)fortunately for us, this summer poked a hole in that theory. Too many moviegoers burned too many times.
    To summarize: journalists rarely get it right because they never go beyond the surface. That would be too much work[​IMG]
    Take care,