What's new

More XBox & PS2 price speculation... (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Just been looking on Yahoo auctions and came across this:
http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....1?aucview=0x23
"Please do not bid.... Just for information. Due to poor sales, the price of an X-Box will drop to £199.99 at all retailers next week (26th April). Further price drops and promotions (free copy of Halo etc.) are due to follow in May coinciding with the launch of the GameCube. Updated Price to drop to £149.99 in May when Gamecube released. PS2 price also to drop to £149.99 with free game."
I have no idea if this info is true but who knows, i didnt expect the box to be £199 this quickly, if there is some truth in it then the gloves are well and truly off.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft announced last week that the XBox is dropping to £199 in the UK. Nintendo have announced a price drop to £130 before launch, but I believe it'll end up being closer to £140 in the UK.

Rumours of a PS2 drop to £150 around the GC launch, but Sony haven't announced anything official.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Yes, i didnt word that very well...what i was questioning is whether there's any truth in MS dropping the XBox price again for the Cube launch and the PS2 at £150. If this does pan out then someone who has held off buying so far will be able to pick up all 3 new consoles for approx £450!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yeah I agree. Another one so soon I just can't see happening. The X-Box at £199 is now solid value for money. It's up to MS to alert people to what the console can do and has to offer in terms of hardware to me it now. For what it has to offer (DVD, 4 joypad ports, hard drive, broadband, 5.1..etc) to me it marks good value at its new price.

Dan

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I think there's constant chance for Xbox price drops. If Xbox sales don't pick up, MS will do whatever it takes to get people to buy it, and they've already shown that that includes price drops.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Josh, you think Microsoft are going to drop the price in the UK within 20 days? Because that's what we're talking about. There is zero chance of that happening.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
As I said, I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen stranger things happen in the world of videogames.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
If they were going to drop the price again that quickly they might as well close up shop and go home. You have to at least wait and see how the new price influences sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks