What's new

More on noise mitigation (1 Viewer)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I used Celotex soundboard (I think their trade name is SoundStop)in the wall of my theater shared with the house. After I insulated the cavities between the studs with standard R19 fiberglass, I screwed the SoundStop up like drywall. It cuts easily with a sharp utility knife. Be careful with your screw gun... this stuff is soft. I didn't seal the joints with anything; it might have been a good idea to use caulk of some sort. Then I drywalled over it as usual (with longer screws, of course). Make sure you plan ahead for the additional 1/2" of wall thickness when setting electrical boxes, doors, etc.
I think the SoundStop was a cheap and easy way to gain 4-6 dB of attenuation; don't expect SoundStop to make the room "soundproof". If you're using it in exterior walls, you'll also welcome the additional R-value. It's probably not a lot, but in Tempe in July, every little bit helps... :)

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Your post is a bit crytic, but if you're interested in noise control, get a copy of Owens-Corning's "Noise Control Guide" and "Insulations for Mechanical Systems", Pub #s 5-BL-21971 and 1-IN-14210-K, or their replacement.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks