What's new

More Miyazaki DVDs coming in 2004 (1 Viewer)

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
hope they don't red-shift and change the aspect ratio of these releases. i also hope they do a better job of encoding. but who am i kidding. it's Disney. big corporations suck at dvd encoding.

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.ca (but not amazon.com) just changed their release date from Aug 31st (which we already knew was going to be postponed) to Jan 31st! :frowning:

This is for Nausicaa, My Neighbor Totoro, and Porco Rosso.

KyleK

Second Unit
Deep Discount is now listing Totoro, Porco, and Nausicaa with a release date of 11/01/04, if that means anything (probably not).

Hope springs eternal!

Kyle:D

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I heard that Miyazaki's latest release, "Howl's Moving Castle" (I think), is being released late this year. Could the delay be an attempt to tie all the releases together?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Mother of mercy! Is that the Ghibli ga Ippai box? :eek:

I hope they put these things out soon. I've been counting on these rereleases to shake a few old import LDs into the US market so I don't have to import them on my own account. :D I know there are hundreds of copies of Nausicaa in the country, because every otaku used to have one. And since I'm the only person who could concievable be interested in buying, I shouldn't have trouble getting one as soon as the present owners have a motive to sell. Of course, it's always possible that they've bought the R2 DVD or have no intertest in selling the LD, but I can hope, right?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The postponed DVDs will be finally released February 22, according to UltimateDisney:

According to the latest information from Disney, the second wave of Miyazaki titles are now slated for release on February 22, 2005. This trio of two-disc Special Editions (My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso) was originally scheduled to make their Disney DVD debut last August before getting inexplicably delayed.

Tim O.

Grip
I guess Disney's gonna hang onto Totoro so they have another title to release with Howl.

Interesting they're releasing The Cat Returns first...from what I've read it's kind of a sequel to Whisper of the Heart...a movie for which I've heard much more praise and Miyazaki was more heavily involved in. According to Nausicaa.net's interview with Cindy and Don Hewitt an english script for Whisper is already done...plus it has a vocie cast. Disney must still have some legal issues to resolve with it.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well it's certainly good to have official confirmation of the date. Too bad Totoro is out, but I've heard great things about The Cat Returns. I'll be buying the three once again.

Brendon

Second Unit
Njål

You have my undying envy for your Ghibli collection! I didn't see that much cool Ghibli collectables when I was over in Japan and actively looking for it all!

If anyone has the ability to play back region 3 discs, the 11 disc Ghibli box set is still available in quite a few places. Note that it does not include Ocean Waves, My Neighbours the Yamadas, Arigatoo Lasiter San and a couple of other Ghibli (& pre Ghibli) releases.

No one should deny themselves the pleasures of Totoro for any longer than is absolutely neccessary.

Does anyone have any idea if the second disc for Totoro and the like will differ from their R2/3 counterparts ? The "meet the dubbing voice over cast" I can live without, but anything meatier may cause a double dip or seven.

Thanks,

Brendon

Arnold Y

Grip
As far as I know, the re-release of My Neighbor Totoro has been delayed indefinitely. Best bet is when the next wave of Miyazaki movies comes around.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
something odd...

According to someone I know who was down there, Totoro was being sold over-the-counter at Disney-Florida (can't remember if it's World or Land.)

But it seems unlikely that they'd be selling the Fox version...

Leo

GeoffBr

Agent
IGN DVD has a review of the dvds up today, and the reviewer is extremely negative on, among other things, the picture quality of the releases (particularly on digital tvs). I don't suppose anyone else has seen these yet?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
According to someone I know who was down there, Totoro was being sold over-the-counter at Disney-Florida (can't remember if it's World or Land.)
World.

I wonder if Fox had leftover stock when their license ran out and made a deal with Disney to unload it. That would explain their availability at the park and the lack of an official release date.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Got these last night, and already watched Nausicaa - great stuff. Video and audio are exceptional.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
According to Nausicaa.net, Totoro will be released late 2005, along with Only Yesterday, and Pom Poko, although either one could be substituted by Whisper of the Heart or Howl's Moving Castle.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Heisei Tanuki Gassen PomPoko? I really want to see Disney deal with that -- the anitestablishment bent, and particularly
the characteristic GIANT TESTICLES of the male of the species, which show up quite conspicuously thhroughout the film
! :laugh:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I agree. I would be amazed if we ever saw Pom Poko released by Disney in this country. I would think Wisper Of The Heart would be more likely. (Particularly since it is vaguely related to The Cat Returns.)

Does anyone here know if the Japanese R2 version has English subtitles?
Yes, they do, tho I think the R3 is cheaper.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks