What's new

More Miyazaki DVDs coming in 2004 (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And any chance of seeing Takahata's "Anne of Green Gables" on R1 DVD any time? Is that Ghibli? Who owns it?
Well, it isn't Disney, since it is a pre-Ghibli title, and considering its age, I wouldn't count on it getting licensed any time soon.

Jason

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
Would Disney have the rights to "On Your Mark," the 6 minute short film/music video from 1995 that Miyazaki wrote/directed and therefore be a possibility on a future release?
From the sound of it, Disney is only going to release the theatrical films, thus they do not have "I Can Hear the Ocean" (which was made for TV), and I doubt they will get "On Your Mark".

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome! I'll blindly buy Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro, since I've never seen any of them. I do however, own the following Miyazaki titles(listed in order of rank):

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
3. Castle in the Sky

I really love these movies, especially Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. They're so fucking epic and original. :) However, I wasn't too fond of one of his other works, which I don't own, called Kiki's Delivery Service.

All in all, I can't wait for August 31, 2004!

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait to see more of Takahata's work. If these are really gonna be released in November, this is gonna be the highlight of the holiday DVD season.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Looks like an improvement over the photoshop jobs of the previous wave. Particularly like the Nausicaa cover. You'd think, tho, that Porco Rosso would at least have the plane on the cover, tho. Just having Porco standing there doesn't do much to sell it...

Jason

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Porco Rosso is very good and much admired. It starts beautifully and has a keen sense of style. However, be forewarned that it ends a little too quickly and is at times too enigmatic for its own good! (Um, [/end rant] -- I do enjoy it very much, for what it is). I think Michael Keaton is a great choice for the voice of Porco.

Make no mistake - if you love Studio Ghibli, and you don't already own these films, these are all blind purchases.

Pom Poko, a tremendously funny and epic raccoon battle film, is NOT necessarily for kids. That doesn't mean a child couldn't enjoy it (providing he/she doesn't fall asleep), but some of the scenes involving, for example, animals using their their giant genitalia as weapons
won't exactly work for the median "Disney parent". Also, it's probably the longest Ghibli film I've ever seen. I certainly hope this doesn't get cut-up.

On Your Mark, Which someone mentioned above, is a six-minute music video with original sci-fi-style animation ... it's really cool. I hope they find a way to release it.

Whisper of the Heart is one of my favorites of the "coming-of-age" Ghiblis. It is not an action-fantasy, so be warned. It's a keenly observed story of growing up and discovery that unfolds so delightfully and surprisingly that you forget you're watching animation.

I haven't seen My Neighbors the Yamadas, so I can't recommend it, but it looks, at the very least, like good family fare.

One I haven't yet heard about: Ocean Waves (a.k.a. I Can Hear the Sea). It's another understated masterpiece about a woman reflecting on her past that doesn't have villains or explosions but works as well, if not better, than the best live-action masterpieces.

These lesser-known films use silence and pauses very effectively to convey emotion. They're really quite astounding.

~s

p.s. for those of you who love Princess Mononoke and haven't yet seen Nausicaa, you're in for a treat.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
My Neighbors the Yamadas is arguably (well, after 'Grave of the Fireflies', of course) the most JAPANESE of the Ghibli films. The film goes though the life of a normal family in Japan and their misadventures... I LOVE it, but I've talked to lots of people who can't stand it.

I would say it doesn't have the genre-eclipsing power of the other Studio Ghibli films (as in, I see people that don't really watch anime that LOVE Princess Mononoke [which is one of my least favorite SG films])

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm excited, I've only seen 1 of the 6 titles coming out (Totoro,) but I've never been disappointed by a Ghibli film (Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Spirited Away are my favorites,) so here's hoping.

And I'm not sure what I think of that Porco Rosso boxart, but the other two are excellent.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Tim, I've only seen Totoro but will buy them all and can't wait for their release and for my kids to get to see Totoro.

Of the 6 I've seen I would rank them

1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Grave Of The Fireflies
3. Spirited Away
4. Kiki's Delivery Service
5. Princess Mononoke
6. Castle In The Sky

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news Re: the Miyazaki films.

My Neighbor Totoro - is a must have

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind - I'm dying to see this. I did see the cut-up Warriors of the Wind many years ago & what little I remember about it was that it was almost indecipherable at times.

Porco Rosso - I've never seen but I'm very interested.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
The Digital Bits has posted black and white early art of the new DVDs (they do not indicate if these will be the actual covers).
I'm guessing that color will be added later but I have to say that they look very good.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The only Disney R1 Niyazaki that hasn't had a French track so far is Kiki's Delivery Service, but there is a good chance Disney will do a new dub.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Lorenzo, if you look a few posts up you'll see the same covers, only in color, from DavisDVD that I posted a while back ;)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
According to The Digital Bits, these titles have been delayed, with no new release date :frowning:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member

I'll just be enjoying my R2 Nausicaa for another year while Disney USA manages to screw it up. [sarcasm]Wow, it's so great that Disney beat R2 for their packaging too ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks